2000 Taurus - "Low Engine Coolant," light

I have a 2000 Taurus SES (24v/dohc v6) and of late, the "Low Engine Coolant," warning light has been coming on for no apparent reason. The temp guage (the binary C-H type FWIW) shows the temp in the normal range, and a visual inspection of the coolant resivoir shows plenty of coolant in it.

The light will come on either hot or cold and may go out after either shutting down for a few minutes or while driving will go out on its own.

The dealer where I usually get the car serviced dismisses it as a bad sensor. I, however, don't feel comfortable driving a car that is giving me bad information if this is true - especially as I take this car on road trips; my position being that one day, the coolant will actually be low and I ignore the warnings and wind up on the side of the road.

Any Ford gurus out there that can give me some insight on this problem? Should I probablly be looking for another mechanic as well?

Reply to
necromancer

How about replacing the sensor? Seems like the logical thing to do at this point...

Telstar Electronics

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Telstar Electronics said in rec.autos.tech:

That's my position too, but for some reason my current; probablly soon to be former; mechanic doesn't seem to want to be bothered.

Reply to
necromancer

OK... then the answer is simple. Find another mechanic that will change the sensor... and go from there.

Telstar Electronics