2001 Buick LaSabre Drive Noise.

I have a noise that sounds like a small plane droning that changes pitch as speed increases. I think it's the left-side. Sound doesn't change when turning. It starts at 20 MPH. It doesn't stop when I brake slightly or take it out-of-gear. Very low mileage...around 60K. Thanks for any ideas or where I might ask online. bob

Jesse, suggested "wheel bearing".

Reply to
Bob Villa

Almost certainly a wheel bearing.

Take it to a tech immediately. There are some other possibilities, but the wheel bearing is certainly a major one and the conequences of wheel bearing failure are so severe that I would not drive it until that has been ruled out.

Yes.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Could also be tires. Try to find a street that has changes in road surface, like concrete to asphalt. If the sound changes, it's tires. You can also run your hand around the tread - a bad tire will feel like it has a sawtooth surface. It's usually also easy to see.

The sound of a wheel bearing will almost always change when you swing the car from side to side. There's also a chance it's in the trans, and the sound won't change at all going side to side.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

We can rule out tires (I think)...both front tires are smooth-no ridges (less than a year old). Driving over snow cover...you still hear the noise. There doesn't seem to be a change in the sound moving the wheel back- and-forth. (sure hope it's not the tranny! *L*) Thanks for your input on this.

Reply to
Bob Villa

No apparent noise when jacked-up and spinning at 30MPH (of course there is little to load the bearing-no weight).

Reply to
Bob Villa

Makes it seem like a wheel bearing, as several people have mentioned.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

A bit more...going 30-40MPH...it makes less noise turning left than turning right (right is about the same as going straight). Definitely seems to be the driver's side (left, here in the US/Canada).

Reply to
Bob Villa

Left wheel bearing. Usually the rights go bad first.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

It was too cold to do the job myself...cost me $300 for the better quality one and labor. Oh well, it's fixed!

Reply to
Bob Villa

Yay! Thanks for the update.

Reply to