2001 Cavalier code PO440:

Hi a buddy brought in his 2001 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl. with check engine light on, I pulled code PO 440 which is evap system, nothing else, no small leak or otherwise. Any ideas where to head with this one are appreciated.

Thanks,

Bush

Reply to
Bush

If you cleared the code and it came back you have an EVAP leak somewhere. Most common are gas cap and purge lines, but could be anywhere.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve I'll try swapping out the fuel cap and see if the code resets. I have been seeing this problem more and more, is there a smoke tester to connect to the 1psi port on the evap system?

Thanks,

Bush

Reply to
Bush

You'd have to take to a shop about that, I wouldn't know. If I got a P0440 and the gas cap replacement did fix it and there were no obvious leaks, I'd take it to a mechanic and let them deal with it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

aarcuda69062