2001 Ford Expedition 5.4L Timing Chain Noise

Could really use some help from the group with this one. 5.4L engine with P&I heads, 110K miles but well maintained every 3000 with synthetic oil. Loud rattle from the front of the engine. Two Ford dealerships are suggesting front timing chain(s?), however both suggest engine swap. It seems both shops have limited experience doing the chain repair. Said this problem is pretty rare.

Has anyone else seen this problem with this engine? Any suggestions? The repair is $1700 and the swap is $5700. No guarantee on the repair. Its my daughter's truck and in this shape I'm afraid she owes more than it might be worth.

Thanks in advance. - JimC

Reply to
jecarroll7

Shep

You are using the correct oil filter aren't you? These engines are sensitive to oil drain back. Using a crummy filter is a good way to get a lot of start-up noise and wear. I've owned two Expeditions with 5.4L engines and the only time I got a noise I interperted to be chain rattle was when I inadvertenly used an FL-820 oil filter instead of the FL-820S (which has a better anti-drain back valve). The standard filter FRAM lists for the 5.4L is not a good choice. The more expensive FRAM filter for the application is better, but still not as good as the Motorcraft FL-820S and it costs more besides.

I woulkd suggest asking your question in two other places -

1) the Expedition Owner Group Mailing List, see
and2) the Ford Owners Support forum at
Ed
Reply to
Ed White