2001 Impala: what whines in a certain speed range?

2001 Impala base 46K miles. Recently developed a kind of whining noise from the front. The whine can only be heard in the speed range of about 20 - 30 mph. The noise stays even after foot gets off the gas pedal until the speed drops below ~20mph. What's wrong? Need a big fix? Thanks!
Reply to
Simon

Shep

Reply to
tim bur

I tried switching gear to neutral when whining, most of times the noise is still there until the car slows down below 20mph.

Reply to
Simon

The alternator might be going bad. Worth checking, anyway. The alternator in my '96 Saturn got pretty noisy right before it died.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Seems like if it were the alternator, it would make noise all the time ... just louder or higher pitched at higher RPM.

Reply to
Walter

Reply to
tim bur