2002 Camry brakes lock up.

*I replaced the master cylinder on a 2002 Camry because the pedal was fading. Now the front brakes lock after using them a few times. The only they will release is to open a fluid line. I replaced the front calipers and pads and still the same problem. Got any ideas? I'm now on the 3rd master. 2 remans and 1 new.*
Reply to
rjcar

Air bubble? Are you sure you bled everything according to the book when installing the new MC? If it has ABS, there could be some interaction with the ABS unit going on as well.

Reply to
E Meyer

That sounds like what happens when you put a drum brake master cylinder on a disk brake car, because the residual pressure valve for drum brakes acts as a check valve.

But unless you got "creative," I don't think that can happen on a master cylinder for a car that was never built with drum brakes....

Have you checked the function of the safety isolation valve?

Reply to
Steve
*Good suggestion. I went through the process again just to make sure but still have the problem. It doesn't have ABS nor TC. I don't see why it should be so much trouble but it's really blowing my mind. Any more suggestions?*
Reply to
rjcar

As the other poster suggested, verify that its the correct MC for the car.

Reply to
E Meyer

"rjcar" wrote: (2002 Camry)

I replaced the master cylinder because the pedal was fading. Now the front brakes lock after using them a few times. The only way they will release is to open a fluid line. It doesn't have ABS nor TC. I replaced the front calipers and pads and still the same problem. I'm on the 3rd master;2 remans and 1 new. Any ideas? ____________________________________________

Possible things to check:

1.) Caliper hoses collapsed, acting as check valve preventing fluid from returning to MC. 2.) Brake pedal binds, does not return fully to release brake application. 3.) Brake pedal pushrod into vacuum booster too long or misadjusted prevents full release. 4.) Vacuum booster valve failing to fully release. 5.) Front & Rear brake lines interchanged at MC. 6.) Binding cylinders in calipers - probably not this because calipers worked before. 7.) Plastic dust caps not removed from new MC ports. 8.) Wrong MC. 9.) Return hole into MC reservoir plugged.

That's all I can think of now.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan
*I never thought of that. This is the 3rd one, surely they didn't mess up that badly at my parts place. Is that the proportioning valve you're referring to. That sounds interesting. How would you check it?:banghead: :banghead: *
Reply to
rjcar

Prop valve is another thing to check, and actually most cars since the

70s combine the proportioning valve and the system isolation safety valve (the one that keeps half the system pressurized if the other half springs a leak, yet allows enough fluid to move between the halves to balance the system pressure under normal operatioin) into a single "combo valve."

I'm kinda guessing on general principles, I don't know anything about the design of that particular braking system. No habla Toyota. Test procedures for any of the system components like the combo valve

*should* be in the factory service manual.
Reply to
Steve

On some cars, calipers can be swapped--are you sure your left one is on left side and right on right side (assuming yours can be interchanged)? Also, ensure flex lines on front are not "twisted" like when inadvertently installing calipers with an "included twist". HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2