2002 Mazda Protege5 Oxygen O2 Sensor Malfunction

Any help appreciated...my check engine light came on on my 2002 Mazda Protege5. I went to my dealer and paid them to run the diagnostic, which they tell me came back saying that the P0031 HO2s11 Heated 02 Sensor had a malfuntion.

They are telling me that a new sensor will cost 234.40 and 50.00 labour to install. I figure these sensors are not too difficult to install myself and that I can likely get one at local autoparts store much cheaper (I see them online for 50$). Can anyone tell me if this is something I should attempt to do myself, how difficult is it, anything special I should know about before attempting and where the heck do I find this sensor (the Mazda service guy suggested that there are a few of these)?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike T

You vehicle should have a 4 wire heated oxygen sensor. P0031 is Bank

1, sensor 1 and since your car only has one bank, this code is referring to the sensor that is before the catalytic converter. It is probably screwed into the exhaust manifold between the engine and the radiator.

As an FYI, if you have an autozone or checker/shucks/kragen nearby most of those places will scan your computer for you for free. Hopefully the dealer didn't ding you for too much to read the codes out of your car for you.

If you know how to solder, buy the universal 4 wire O2 sensor and wire it up yourself. If you want a new one with the exact connector for your vehicle already installed be prepared to open your wallet, as those do not come cheap. It's better to re-use your connector or build a new one yourself if you know how.

In any event, make certain you put some anti-seize compound on the threads of the new sensor prior to installing it into the manifold and make certain you torque it to the proper specification.

Chris

Reply to
Hal