2002 Protege 5: Galvanized body panels?

Does anyone know if Mazda used galvanized body/body panels on the 2002 Protege 5?

I have rust forming on the painted surface just above the rear wheel wells on my 3+ year old protege. The corrosion seems to have started at the edge of the sheet metal in the wheel well.

I tried to avoid a rusty car by choosing one that had galvanized body panels (so the dealer claimed) and also buying into the dealer's rust inhibitor with 10 year warranty (which doesn't cover exterior painted surfaces). Now I am faced with a $1000 bill to get rid of the cancerous rust as the machine is 3 months past the 3 year warranty limit on the painted surfaces.

I'm just wondering if the dealer told me a little white lie in order to secure the sale...

Thanks in advance, Dan.

Reply to
dandufeu

Shep
5 years/unlimited on rust perforation, however they define perforation as a hole _through_ the metal.

Currently the paint is bubbling out significantly, but no rust on the other side yet. I'm not sure I really want to wait and see if the rust grows into a hole... I'd rather it be fixed at this stage.

Reply to
dandufeu