2003 Dodge intrepid 2.7 engine cam tone ring swap question?

I am converting a 2000 2.7 engine to go into a 2003 Dodge intrepid so far I have replaced the the flex plate so that it is compatible. The question I have is the about the cam tone ring. If the cam tone ring has to be swapped out in the 2000 2.7 engine, then why would I need to remove the cam sprocket if only two bolts holds the ring on and it comes free of the cam sprocket very easy? I ask this because when I removed it from the 2003 engine, the left cam shaft barely moved and it seems like I could easily turn the cam shaft back to realign it with the cam tone ring, and sprocket and the engine would still be statically timed and there would be no need to reset the timing.

Thanks

Reply to
WILLIAM HILL