2003 Sable duratec air cleaner mod?

Hi all... Have just purchased the first new car in my life, a 2003 merc sable with the duratec 3.0 engine. I am very well pleased with the car...and like to tinker. I have read the Tarus groups mods for the air intake to the engine and they seem to be claiming all sorts of increased power and gas milage by modifiying the air intake by removing the sliencer in the air intake. I am wondering what has been others experiences in doing the same. While the power is entirely adequate in stock form as well as the quietness of the car, I am thinking down the road of pulling the rather restrictive muffler and intake system and adding less restrictive components.... BUT I don't want increased noise nor do I want to add a K & N oil impregnated filter...I have use those on some of my earlier vehicles and can votch for some of them using the filter...but not on others. I am wondering if modifying the intake and exhaust will give me any real noticable increase in power and milage in day to day applications. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Reply to
denton