2005 Accord rear brakes

My buddies '05 Accord has 65K on it and the back brakes started squealing. Looking through the rim I could see they were low. So we go to FLAPS to get F & R pads. Fairly simple to change but what was odd was that the inside rear pad on both sides was worn significantly more than the outside rear pads. The front pads were worn les than halfway but we changed them anyway.

Any reason why the rear pads would be worn so much more than the front and the inside more than the outside? The car is automatic so leaving the parking brake on was not the cause and the pins all moved freely.

Reply to
RayV

RayV wrote in news:1184783186.711926.170600 @z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Did the pads just fall off when you removed the caliper, or was it a struggle getting them to let go?

If the pins were in fact all sliding freely, then the only significant cause of your uneven pad wear would be the outer pad being seized on its bracket.

It is normal for the rear pads to be more worn than the front. Rear pads in a Honda will wear faster than the fronts.

Parking brake use has absolutely nothing to do with pad wear.

Reply to
Tegger

Rear disk brake pads wearing faster than the front? Eh? Please 'splain this, Is this something to do with the ABS type brakes? I've never encountered this with a 90's Acura.

Reply to
Bob Johnstone

Bob Johnstone wrote in news:Sivni.89605$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.lga:

I've have a '91 Integra since it was new. My rears also wear faster than the fronts.

The rear pads are much smaller and far softer than the fronts. Plus the rear rotors tend to rust up faster, leading to more abrasion to the friction surfaces.

Reply to
Tegger