2005 F-150 reliability

It looks as if I may look for a new vehicle. My 1996 silverado with 356,000 miles is tired. I am looking at this:

To be honest, I am tired of working on stuff. I know this truck with the 5.

4 has 115,000 on it. But how reliable are they and are there any problems I can expect in the future with this mileage. I dont mind wrenching, just do nt want to have to do it every day as it seems I am having to do now.

With proper maintenance could I expect to get 300,000 on a truck such as th is?

Reply to
stryped1

Paul in Houston TX

no, you're tired of failing to fix a problem because you're not using a proper diagnostic procedure.

knocking the cat out of a vehicle is not "wrenching", it's "hacking".

what are you going to do when that thing breaks down on you too?

sooner or later you're going to have to stop kicking the can down the road and figure out whether you're going to save money finding an expert who can fix stuff for you first time, or figure out how to do it properly yourself. there are plenty of places where you can learn [the right way] to do vehicle repair. a lot of the time, you can bring your own vehicle in for diagnosis once you've been there a while.

Reply to
jim beam

miles is tired. I am looking at this:

has 115,000 on it. But how reliable are they and are there any problems I can expect in the future with this mileage. I dont mind wrenching, just dont want to have to do it every day as it seems I am having to do now.

It's always a crap shoot. All cars/trucks are prone to having "issues," so the best you can do is avoid known dogs and then learn all you can about what you select. An option for the Silverado - if it's not beat to death - is a have a good garage put in a new crate engine. Even if you have a GM dealer do it, it will cost well less than half the price of the Ford, and you'll get a 100k mile 3 year warranty versus no guarantee at all with the Ford.

Reply to
Vic Smith

00 miles is tired. I am looking at this:

5.4 has 115,000 on it. But how reliable are they and are there any problems I can expect in the future with this mileage. I dont mind wrenching, just dont want to have to do it every day as it seems I am having to do now.

We only get calls for maintenance items for the F150's at our store.

Reply to
m6onz5a

000 miles is tired. I am looking at this:

5.4 has 115,000 on it. But how reliable are they and are there any problem s I can expect in the future with this mileage. I dont mind wrenching, just dont want to have to do it every day as it seems I am having to do now.

I have thought about the new engine deal. However, I then wonder about the tranny going out. To be honest, most of the stuff I have going wrong is not the engine per se, but the electronics (ie sensors) or some other part on the engine if that makes sense.

To the guy that keeps bashing me working on my own vehicle, If you dont lik e what I post then block me or something. I work on my own vehicles becasue I dont have anybody else. I live in the middle of no where, work 10-12 hou rs a day and really dont have alot of other options other than myself. I ha ve tried taking my truck to a local midas only becasue that is the only pla ce I could find a shuttle service that would take me back to work, but when they wanted 1000 bucks to replace ball joints before they would do an alig hnment, I decided just to give up on having other people do repair work for me.

And by the way, replacing the distributor cap fixed my problem. (again). I replaced the cap about three months ago. I noticed I can bull up on the rot or. It seems to have too much play upward, I am wondering if that is premat urely wearing out my button becasue the old cap button was worn flat. So, I am thinking I need a distributor too.

And back to the other subject, dotn get me wrong. I have no problem having others work on my stuff. My problem is time. I am working so much and live in the country with Amish neighbors. Everything that is open on Saturdays i s closed at noon anyway. I live in rural Kentucky so those of you in big ci tys need to understand I am limited in what is available to me. It is also economics. This truck is not worth too much. I had two other garages quote me 700 bucks to replace an intake gasket. I just hated to pay that for a tr uck with 364,000 miles on it and is a 1996. So I did it myself. It took an entire weekend. But I had my truck ready for work Monday morning and it cos t me less than 100 bucks and I learned alot in the process.

While I am on a rant, it bugs me that other than people in newsgroups such as this, people, especially younger people, dont seem to wrench on anythign anymore. Part of my job envolves hiring people in a manufacturing plant. Y ou would be amazed at the people that can program an I phone but does not k now the difference between an allen wrench and a crescent wrench. When I as k these people about their mechanical skills I ask if they ever work on any thing like their own car. The answer I typically get is "you cant work on t hem anymore". I understand part of that, but it seems people dont even try to do anything hard anymore.

I will stop ranting now.

Reply to
stryped1

[...]

Good rant bro! There are plenty of things people can still do on their cars if they cared to. Most don't want to bother. They would rather spend $300 for an alternator replacement then spend the half hour to do it themselves with a $100 rebuild from Autozone.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

my work-life would improve greatly if they could just replace their darn air filter every couple years. I'm tired of cleaning dirty-ass throttle plates and bores on cars that won't start/idle just because of that. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh