2005 "New" Malibu LS w/electric powersteering

I own the car above and although I think electric power steering is a neat way to save weight & energy, I would like to know the following:

  1. The electric steering assist on the Malibu/Maxx is advertised as "decreasing" at higher speeds. I still find it intrusive even at over
30mph. The alignment has been done twice by a garage I know well and trust, and the car has almost ridiculous tendancy to roll with little application of the gas pedal!

Question: Since there must be some computer playing a role in the amount of electric power steering applied at various speeds, can't that module be programmed to provide progessively even LESS p.s. effort from 20-30 mph, 30-40mph and so on? I want the car's own alignment characteristics to straighten the wheels out from a turn, not some computer! I don't mind the assist under 15mph, as in tight parking spots, but at anything over 20 standard suspension geometry should be taking over.

  1. I asked my dealer service center in 2006 and they said at that time

- no, it's a closed system and no dealer service bay mods can be made.

I would like to know otherwise, as I'm tired of having to nurse-maid this car on highways at over 60mph where SAI & caster should be performing this role w/o interference from power steering.

thanks,

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

________________ No eye-dears?

I'm just concerned about this because if electric/electronic powersteering is the future I do NOT want a computer or servo to emulate the effects of caster & SAI for me. If buying an older car is the only way to get one with good geometry and road manners then that might be the way I have to go.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster