27k miles on spark plugs abt right?

My 2000 Mazda Protege has abt 27, 000 miles on the spark plugs (copper ones I think).

The car seems to be idling rough. Is 27k on a set of plugs abt right? Time to change them out?

Also....what abt copper vs platinum plugs. Any real serious advantage to platinum plugs worthy of the extra cost?

Reply to
me

Try gapping and cleaning.

Just go with the ones recommended in the owners manual.

Reply to
John S.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

advantage for plugs that are hard to change, or if you have to pay someone to do it.

The plugs are deeply recessed into the head....such that when you remove spark plug wire it has a long rubber extension on that end that comes out of the head

So would YOU personally spring for platinum just to get longer life and less maint?

Reply to
me

advantage for plugs that are hard to change, or if you have to pay someone to do it.

I would spring for a $5 to $10 socket extension and the exact correct plugs according to Mazda. I'm not sure if an easier set of plugs to change exists in the free world.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

big advantage for plugs that are hard to change, or if you have to pay someone to do it.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

really worth the extra cost of platinum plugs are pushrod engines that have to have the engine jacked up off the mounts to change plugs.

In my experience, OHV or Pushrod makes ZERO difference in how hard to change the plugs are. What matters is the rest of the engine and accessory installation. Ever tried to see, let alone change, the plugs on a Ford Modular v8 (SOHC version)? Its an overhead-cam and should be easy by your definition... but it isn't! How about a Mopar 2.7 overhead cam in a 300 or Charger- gotta pull the intake plenum off to change the passenger's side 3 plugs. In contrast, the 5.7L Hemi Mopar (pushrod) is dirt-simple to get at the plugs (all 16 of them!) as is the Mopar 3.5 OHC v6. But a Mopar minivan with a pushrod 3.3 has 3 easy plugs (front) and 3 difficult (rear, next to the firewall).

Reply to
Steve

What kind of plugs? Are they the ones that the manufacturer recommends in the manual?

I have had cars that fouled plugs at shorter intervals than that, and cars that could go for much longer. Pull the plugs and look at them. If they are covered with crap or the gaps are opened up, or if the edges of the electrodes are severely rounded, replace them.

From what manufacturer? You will find some cars will run much better on the less expensive plugs, while other cars specify the more expensive ones in the service manual. Use the brand and type recommended in the service manual if you can get them.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

advantage for plugs that are hard to change, or if you have to pay someone to do it.

That's annoying, but it's not in the same league as the cars where you have to pull the radiator to get to the plugs.

Not if it resulted in poorer running.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

really worth the extra cost of platinum plugs are pushrod engines

good point!!

Reply to
me

Agree

I had the dealer change plugs out last time so I'm assuming they installed OEM plugs

Question: All I have is a 1/4" socket set..... no 3/8 set. So I will need to buy tools to change myself

I notice that Autozone sells specialized "plug wrenches" that have spring like device to hold plugs and keep from falling out. Bottom line....is one of these "specialized" wrenches better to use than say a

3/8 drive set?
Reply to
me

Yes, otherwise you have to jam a rag or some bubble gum into the socket to make it hold the plug. Plug wrenches are cheap, probably doubly so if you're buying crappy Autozone imports, and they are something you will be very glad you got.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

OK.... maybe I will see what a Craftsman plug wrench costs

MANY thanks guys!

Reply to
me

really worth the extra cost of platinum plugs are pushrod engines

No, its nonsense.

Reply to
Steve

I'd agree to that. Witness the late '60s 428 Mustang.

Sure it is. I owned one for 130,000 miles, and changed plugs three times. Piece of cake.

They're not difficult. Just make sure the engine is cold.

Reply to
the fly

Well, in order to use the spark plug socket, you'll most likely need a 3/8" drive ratchet. I don't know about the Autozone part you're talking about, but spark plug sockets that I've seen have a rubber sleeve in them to hold the plug in place. Very handy.

Reply to
Bob M.

The tool I am talking abt is a specialized spark plug wrench that already has integrated handle and socket and everything.... no need for a socket set

Reply to
me

Just buy the socket and a 3/8" drive ratchet. You'll need the ratchet sooner or later, so you might as well get it now.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I think current emission regs require newer cars to achieve 50K with emissions still within specs with NO maintenance including replacing plugs.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota