2F2F-style flame thrower

A friend of mine who saw the Fast & Furious 2 movie asked me about the cars with the flames shooting out of the tailpipe (I've never seen the movie, but I think I saw it in the commercial). I know that you can do something like that by installing a spark plug in the tailpipe of an older car and flooding the engine (works on start-up only), but I think I came up with a cheap/simple way to do this any time you want even with newer cars. What I'm wondering is (1) do people already do this, and (2) if no, would it work?

Anyways, my idea was to route the current to the spark plug(s) for one or more cylinders to a control box in the cabin, and also install a spark plug in the tailpipe. Normally the current would pass through the control box and back out to the spark plug(s) for the cylinder, but with the flick of a switch the current can be rerouted to the spark plug in the tailpipe which would simultaneously (1) stop combustion in the one cylinder, causing it to pump fuel and air out the exhaust, and (2) provide the spark at the tailpipe to ignite it.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work/would be dangerous? E.g. Would disabling one cylinder on a 4/6 cylinder engine for a bit cause any problems? Is there any danger of the flame traveling up the tailpipe (there will be a bit of air in there that got pushed out with the fuel)? Would the catalectic converter cause any problems?

If this checks out with you guys I think I may try and convince one of my friend with an old beater to let me try and do this to their car :)

Reply to
stewacide

You couldn't really reroute a spark plug wire like that. Generally, 30,000 volt discharges don't really like being shunted around haphazardly :-) You'd likely have to install a special system to operate the exhaust plug.

Also, running in "flamethrower" mode for any significant length of time would overheat the catalytic converter due to all the unburned fuel being oxidized. That, and all the other risks of damage or injury from having flames spewing out the back of your car..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Stephen Bigelow

Ok, lets say I operated the spark plug in the tailpipe some other way, and I kept the switch box in the engine bay right near the plug. Can you see any deal-breaker problems with that (assuming I can get the wiring right)? Is there anything special I have to keep in mind when wiring around the engine spark plugs (i.e. when dealing with 30 000 volts)?

Reply to
stewacide

In South Africa (I think that's where it is) they sell devices that sit under the front doors and blast flame up at anyone attempting to steal the car (with the driver inside - LA carjackings are nothing like what's in South Africa)

Reply to
Bob M.

Yah, I read that in some car magazine too :)

Reply to
stewacide