3 speed standard - shifting trouble

have you checked your motor mounts?

Nate Nagel

If the shifter rod/shaft going down thru the steering column becomes dry, it does not "lift & slide" for 1st and reverse freely. Try lubricating it from top to bottom(called 'gravity', I guess). IF that is the problem, a good oiling can do wonders. HTH & good luck, sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi2

Hi all. I have a 1976 Chevy g20 Van. It has a 350, 4 brl, single exhaust, pwr steering..... and a 3 speed, on the tree, manual gear box. Lately, the shifting for 1st and reverse has become very stiff to the point that it will no longer engage. The linkage is still fine and the transmission shifts smooth and easy when it is disconnected from the steering column. When I check the manual, there is supposed to be a way to adjust the clearance at the end of the column but it doesn't seem to look like the picture and the adjustments are not visible. Am I stuck removing the whole steering column and examining it that way or does someone have a sneaky fix for me? Ian

Reply to
Ian Dalton