305 chev engine starting problem

I have a jasper engine 50.000 miles in my 1967 nova ll.

The engine started draging after shutting it down and starting it back up?

I replace the batt. & 2 starters because the engine drags after warming up.

I had it in the shop and they made a heat shield for the starter but nothing helps?

Once it at normal operating temp. and I turn it off it drags so much you wouldn't think it would crank but it does?

Elec windows drag too!

Now I thinking it taiming problem but what would temp have to do with timing?

I know it's something simple but it's got me!

Thanks

Reply to
robert

You could easily be describing a bad connection in one of the main power cables. The sneaky one is the battery to engine block connection and the engine to body one.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I have a jasper engine 50.000 miles in my 1967 nova ll.
Reply to
Mike Romain

It sounds like your timing is too far advanced. I don't know why temperature matters but I know it does. Try retarding the timing a little bit. Good luck

Reply to
gsxr711

Hey, right on gxsr! He asked what temp had to do with timing--shoulda asked if both temp AND timing could make engine harder to start: yes! Advanced timing makes engine fire too early and "kick back" on piston's movement = hard to start, or "starter drag". Heat swells pistons--remember that piston "slap", a noise due to excessive piston-to-cylinder walls clearance? It is quieter when hot and is due to piston's expanding & reducing this clearance after it heats. This same swelling could cause "starter drag". HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

That's right, the easy way to check this is to disable the ignition system and see iff it still cranks hard.

An engine with too tight of a piston to cylinder clearance will have far worse problems than slow cranking when hot.

Reply to
Bob