3800 RWD Questions

I am still toying with the idea of putting a 3800 engine into my Mercedes

230 CE and want to learn more about it.

What is the weight with the four speed auto transmission?

Which side is the starter on? (Steering box clearance)

Besides Camaro and Firebird, which cars used the 3800 in RWD?

Thanks

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

I'm not sure but the Pontiac Bonneville comes to mind and also Buick Century. I don't think the tranny weight should be of any concern, it can't weigh that much I can lift one by myself (maybe 200#). If you never did this before you have a lot of work cut out for you. Not saying it can't be done, you just run into one road block after another. I've seen a 440 in a K car once, I've made a couple of change overs myself. Some are fairly easy some are not.

Reply to
Doug Adams

Scott, why don't you use the 4.3 v-6. They have proved their longevity quite similar to 3800; already a RWD; plenty of overdrive 700R4 trannies which will shift w/o need of a computer; plenty of aftermarket hop-ups available; fuel mileage is good (but not quite up to 3800 using its computers & computer-aided design for total pkgs., like an entire LeSbre, ParkAve., Riviera). I have an 86 S10 Blazer with 95 LT1 v-8 and trans--a nice install and great performance. Also have an 03 S10 pickup w/4.3 Vortec, all stock. The pkp will smoke the tires "off the line" and quickly made me change my mind about doing a similar-to-Blazer v8 swap. There just isn't that much to be gained. Pkp does about 24-26 mpg on a straight interstate run. I'm sure a stock 4.3 w/700R4 will deliver decent fuel mileage in your Mercedes. And if you want more power--dunno what for--there are many performance mods you can purchase off the shelf. You could even put, say a 4.1:1 rear end in it, and with that R-4's 70% overdrive, cut it down to 2.88:1 for the road(4.11 X

0.70=2.88, rounded.) This eliminates need for a computer to control any fuel injection(assuming you use an aftermarket intake and carb) or to control the trans-shifting. A simple-to-install kit makes that 700R4 shift from vacuum and go into lockup mode--cannot do this with the 4L60E, tho'. Good luck to you. Let us all know how your swap goes, whatever you use. s
Reply to
sdlomi2

Two reasons really, I am more familiar with the 3800. I am thinking, but do not know, that the 3800 has a smaller block and weighs less than the 4.3.

Let me know if I am misinformed.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Scott, you're right about the weight--3800 weighs 392# and the 4.3 weighs 425#. And I can understand your preferences. I agree, I'd love to have a nice transplanted 3800 AND supercharger in like an s10 or even mid-60's pickup. I feel like that's one of GM's finest--so powerful plus above 30mpg on the LeSabres and even Park Ave's. I'm feel we would be hard-pressed to even approach such economy with a transplant. But the electronics plus virtual virgin territory with the fwd-to-rwd would be more than I, personally, could handle. And, while the 4.3 is just a 5.7 with 2 cylinders cut off(same bore and stroke, even), I'd be right at home with that, using an intake and carb. and HEI ignition--just run one hot wire to the dist cap! Again, please let us know if you get it done. Who knows, after you get it all figured out and working, many of us want pics and info to do copycat swaps! Later.....sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

Not sure, but you can be pretty sure that it doesn't weigh more than a Mercedes driveline!

80s GM rear-drive coupes like the Regal, which would have used a TH200R4 I think.
Reply to
Steve

I would say that its just an all-around better engine. Not that there's anything dreadful about the 4.3, but the 3800 is better in the same way a Buick 350 was better than a Chevy 350. Bottom end reliability, cylinder geometry, rod ratio, valvetrain stability. All better.

Reply to
Steve

Sorry, I'd take a chevy small block over a Buick 350 anyday for reliability. The Buick 3.8 v-6 in it's early days wasn't that great of a motor either! I've worked on all of these engines in their time......buick engines weren't that great.

Now an Olds 350....that was a great engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I can only answer this one. The answer is none after 1986 (with the modern

3800) Don't listen to people who say there are some. In the 1980's, GM rear-drive cars with the Buick V6 were very common, but that was the earlier version; all except the "Grand National" Turbo were carbureted if I remember correctly.
Reply to
Joe

On target, Ian. Early 3.8's had weak oil pump designs and suffered may crank failures. Nothing beats a Chev 350 pound for pound ,dollar for dollar. This is coming from a Mopar guy!!

Reply to
maxwedge

I can answer this one. The answer is none after 1986. Don't listen to people who say there are some. GM does have a rear drive V6 car right now (the CTS) and that might yield something, but they just didn't make rear drive V6 cars in the 90's, and they don't use the 3800 in a truck.

In the 1980's, GM rear-drive cars with the Buick V6 were very common, but that was the earlier version; all except the "Grand National" Turbo were carbureted if I remember correctly.

Reply to
Joe

And I'd still take my 383 Magnum over the chevy....heh heh. I miss my Road Runner!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

It still came in some Firebirds.

Reply to
80 Knight

Another Olds-man! Only weak point was the pot-metal rocker pivots, which were cheap to replace and later perfected with steel pivots. You and I along with GM agree this is possibly their best v8--after all which engine did they try to convert to diesel? And which did they use on the first hi-dollar Seville(77, 78, & 79) with fuel injection? Must've been a reason, huh? The Buick 350's would get to operating temp and 10-w-30 oil would lose its viscosity and cause lifters to start clicking and oil light would come on--cam bearings? rods? mains? excess clearance/wear? And even Pontiac

301, 350, and 400's would do likewise. Switching to Castrol 20-w-50 or straight 30 or 40 weight would sometimes help. Olds 350 never did that, as valve train and bottom ends held such close tolerances and would go 200k miles with virtually zero wear on crank. I also experienced similar minimal wear on the Chev 350. My experience was that only abused Chev engines seemed to give problems as they too would go 200k miles with approx. zero wear on crank and would do it on 10-w-30 oil. I'd say my idea of a nearly perfect v-8 engine would be that Olds 350 with fuel injection and with steel rocker pivots. All these are my personal opinions based on experience with approx. 275 cars per year for a # of years during 68-85 (68-79 model cars)--mostly consisting of the entire GM gamut. BTW: my next door neighbor swears by Studebaker v-8--and that's ok with me. Opinions do differ and I respect that! s
Reply to
sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

They used the 3800 in some Firebirds and Cameros which are rear wheel drive so getting the RWD arrangement is not an issue. A local yard will sell me "everything that you need" for $1200 wiring harness, radiator, transmission, computer and exhaust. The engine has 160,000 miles on it.

The electrical should not be too bad unless I have to completely fab a harness.

The das gages may be a hassle.

I'll keep you posted.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Transferring the computer controls are easy:

The only issue I see is, would be the dash gauges. But, magic can be worked.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Refinish King

Geeze - I guess they would. $1200 for a setup with that many miles? They ought to be paying you to take it off their hands. Keep shopping. That's robbery.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

One major difference to consider is the intake manifold. The FWD cars, the supercharged and think the N/A as weel, the throttle body is at the rear of the engine (relative to the crank). This is fine in the FWD application...it just goes above the transmission and puts the airbox in there somewhere. For a RWD application the TB is usually in front. In other GM cars the supercharger would interfere with the firewall. Might be possible to flip it around with a custom manifold and pulley arrangement, as the S/C is driven by a shaft from in front of the engine.

I'd suggest sticking to the Camaro/Firebird 3800. Make sure you can tell the difference between a 3400 and a 3800. I don't remember which years had which, but the 3400 is clearly inferior, and 60 degree vs.

  1. Peace, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

I won't argue that point too much, although I've seen a few Buick 350s survive abuse that would kill a Chevy 350. Design-wise, what I like about the Buick is the long conrods and the resulting rod ratio. And from a hipo perspective the 455 is very oversquare, unlike the Olds 455 which is undersquare as suits a land-yacht or truck engine. I do know that the Buick 455 needed help with overall lower block strength (responds REAL well to a crank girdle) so I can see that weakness manifesting itself in other ways too.

Yep. Really the same block (without the raised deck) as the Olds 455. Can you imagine how good big GMC pickups and dump trucks of the 70s and

80s would have been with an Olds 455 instead of the POS Chevy 454???
Reply to
Steve