4.3L engine timing cover replacement

I have 1989 GMC Safari and have removed the timing cover to replace oil seal, chain and sprockets. I did not lower the oil pan to remove the cover. Is it reasonably possible to reinstall the cover without removing the oil pan or can you loosen only the front and lower it enough to reinstall the cover? I don't want any leaks and am willing to drop the pan if that is the only way to do it well. But, I am curious anyone has had sucess without doing so.

Thanks!

Barry

Reply to
Barry Minchey

Barry, drop the pan. Do it right the first time. I have been working on vehicles for 21 years and it did not take long to realize I should not cut corners. If some thing is in your way, remove it. It is not a matter of success it is a matter of luck. There is a small gauge spring on the seal to hold pressure on the shaft. If you roll the seal (which you cant see while installing the cover), the spring will come off and your seal will be worthless. Good luck, Paul from NY.

Reply to
paulv

The problem is that many GM engies over the years have used the silastic or some such gasket material. They fail fairly frequently anyways. Dropping the pan would be the best option if you can. If your gasket is cork, some timing cover sets come with the front section of the pan gasket that can be installed with silicon at the joints and works well. If your gasket is metal reinforced, you can only replace all or nothing of the gasket which means you would have to pull the pan if the gasket is damaged or leaking.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut