4 speed vs 5 speed automatic

I'm curious what the plusses and minuses are on each one.

Here are the specs: (2004 Nissan Maxima)

Engine:

3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine 265 hp @ 5,800 rpm 255 lb-ft of torque @ 4,400 rpm

Drivetrain:

5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode 4-speed automatic transmission

Gear ratio 4 A/T 5 A/T 1st 2.785 4.657 2nd 1.545 3.032 3rd 1.000 1.982 4th 0.694 1.341 5th - 1.018 6th - - Reverse 2.272 5.114 Final drive ratio 3.789 2.440

*What exactly does the Gear Ratio mean??

I know that the 5 speed would be able to handle higher speeds at a lower RPM and would thus save gas. Is there a way to deduce approximately what the RPM would be at a specific speed? 4000rpms at 120mph or something like that?

And the 4-speed would have more acceleration?

What are the biggest and most noticible differences between the two?

Thanks

begin 666 uq_super_script_06.gif M1TE&.#EA!@`-`( !`&9F9O___R'Y! $```$`+ `````&``T```(/C'\`B=OJ

+7%@R*H2SWJ$``#L` ` end
Reply to
sales
**This one should be in plain text.**

I'm curious what the plusses and minuses are on each one.

Here are the specs: (2004 Nissan Maxima)

Engine:

3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine 265 hp @ 5,800 rpm 255 lb-ft of torque @ 4,400 rpm

Drivetrain:

5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode 4-speed automatic transmission

Gear ratio 4 A/T 5 A/T

1st 2.785 4.657 2nd 1.545 3.032 3rd 1.000 1.982 4th 0.694 1.341 5th - 1.018 Reverse 2.272 5.114 Final drive ratio 3.789 2.440

*What exactly does the Gear Ratio mean??

I know that the 5 speed would be able to handle higher speeds at a lower RPM and would thus save gas. Is there a way to deduce approximately what the RPM would be at a specific speed? 4000rpms at 120mph or something like that?

And the 4-speed would have more acceleration?

What are the biggest and most noticible differences between the two?

Thanks

Reply to
sales

Here's a definition that will work: The ratio of the number of revolutions of one thing to the number of revolutions of something else.

For the transmission specifically it means this: (number of revs on the input shaft)/(number of revs on the output shaft).

I think for final drive ratio they mean the ratio of the number of revs of the output of the transmission to the number of revs of the wheel.

So you can do the math if you like to compare the actual number of revs of the engine to number of revs of the wheel for top gear for both setups. If you add tire size into the calculations, you could figure out the relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed in top gear also.

If you don't like math, you could just drive each car and see what you think.

Reply to
David

I like the G/R for the 2004 Viper SRT-10

6 Speed Dual overdrive. T> **This one should be in plain text.**
Reply to
Mike Behnke

Looking at those ratios, it seems that the 5spd is geared shorter, meaning it will accelerate quicker and "feel" sportier. But, it will rev HIGHER than the

4spd in every gear, and will burn MORE gas and get worse milage on the highway. 5th gear is shorter than OD and D in the 4 speed.

That's just my unedumacated guess though. Drive both, see what feels better.

Reply to
Mike O'Malley

Yes, it seems everyone and his brother has a gear ratio calculator on the Web. A search engine will give you a ton of hits. Here's one:

(The "transfer case" is an additional gearbox fitted to 4x4 vehicles; for a road car just enter 1.0 for the transfer case ratio.)

Reply to
Paul Hirose