4 wheel drive problems

i have a 2003 ford ranger and this is the first year i have used the 4X4 on it is all electronic no lock outs or anything like that. well today i used the 4 wheel because i had to go through a wet feild not too muddy just wet well afterward i went to put it back into 2 wheel drive and it just made a very wierd noise the 4 wheel is still functional but its has a loud whining inside the cab and it feels like my truck is gonna fo off the road at any minute.. and it will not disengage from 4 wheel after i switch it to

2 wheel unless i slam on the brakes going down the road.. then it disengages is this an electrical problem or is it driveline problems
Reply to
chubbychop

I can only HOPE that the above poster's first language is NOT english as..... (gawd after all **SPELLCHECK**?).....

Reply to
Im_Not_Even_A_ford_Fan

to whom it may concern, i used this web site so i could get help.. not so i could have an overeducated wisea$$ could critique my spell yes you are not a ford fan. and also not a fan of common courtesynow if anyone has info on what the problem is on my truck please let me know

Reply to
chubbychop

not sure how the fords handle engaging the front differential, but on an s10, there is a cable (like a choke cable) that connects from the front differential to a vacuum actuator. the vacuum turns on when you push the 4x4 button which pulls the cable locking in the front end.

if fords work the same way your cable may be stuck..

Reply to
keefemd

I'm a fan for punctuation, and capital letters. When you figure out how to use them, give us a call...

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha

I have a 98 ranger and just got thru with my 4x4 problem simular to yours. On mine, it was like yours without the noise. It wouldn't come out of 4x4 once in, but would also show the 4wdHigh and 4wdLow lights on the dash flashing. they would flash 6 times then go off for 2 mins. Would continue repeating this as long as the engine was running. Problem ended up being the transfer case shift motor. It sits external to the transfer case and is a $400 item.

Reply to
boxcar