64 mercury 576K miles grandmas car

I wonder what engine. My 63 260 fairlane left a trail of smoke with way less miles.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

My 65 fairlane 289 had some of its lifters collapse before i got rid of it. As i recall, it had no PVC venting either and had a lot of sludge build up.

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Later, I bought a used 64 1/2 mustang with 260 . Same smoke, but I learned to change the valve stem umbrellas.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Should have had PCV, was required by '65 MY IIRC.

Well, my memory was wrong. according to wikipedia "By 1964, most new cars sold in the U.S. were so equipped by voluntary industry action so as not to have to make multiple state-specific versions of vehicles. PCV quickly became standard equipment on all vehicles worldwide because of its benefits not only in emissions reduction but also in engine internal cleanliness and oil lifespan."

but even Studebaker was using PCV across the board in '63 if my memory serves correctly, and at that point in time they were very cash-strapped, unlike FoMoCo.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You probably mean "engines," plural.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

for sure. my grandmother used to get taken for a new engine every few of years by her local crooks.

Reply to
jim beam