67 camaro carb in 73 chevy c10

Hi All! I just took over a project concerning a 67 camaro carburetor that was put (manifold and all) into a 73 chevy C10. It was in pitiful shape when we got a hold of it. The firing order was wrong for one thing. After that and a few other adjustments, I followed the driver of the truck down the highway going 45. That's all she could put out. Horrible gas smell too. A few weeks past and we finally decided that the carburetor was one of the biggest problems so I rebuilt it. Don't get me wrong, this vehicle has a lot potential but as it is, She's still acting up. A good bit of white smoke (even after messing with the idle mix screws), no more gas smell though. I thought she was going to be okay today but when I tried to pull out of the driveway, she died with no hope of returning. After fruitlessly jumping her off We put in a new battery and she cranked back up but with all of the sputtering smoke. We took it around the neighborhood. She did okay until we were trying to go uphill, she lagged like she did when we first got her but this time we could feel the power in her. It's like she couldn't catch up to herself though. Like it was trying to kick in with it completely floored but we were still going around forty or so. I thought when we reached the top of the hill it might fly right out from under us. Alright, I really need help with this cuz I'm just dumbfounded. She won't crank at all when the butterfly is closed so I tied it open. I don't want the whole carb to be rigged though. Any ideas? Also it's missing what I think is the automatic choke.(little coil spring thing) How long can we go before replacing it?

Reply to
raindrop

You stated alot of white smoke. I assume you mean this is something above and beyond what is seen in warm-up and on cold days. If so, you should do a compression test. It sounds as if one or both of the head gaskets (guessing it's a V8) is shot and leaking coolant into the cylinder.

Reply to
Brent P