68 Plymouth

Are the wheel studs on the left right handed and the studs on the right left handed? Or what?

Reply to
Terry Wison

Yes. On all Chrysler products through the 1970 model year. In 1971, they went to RH-threaded wheel lugs on both sides of the car.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

As it came from the factory, the right side studs are/were right hand thread, the left side studs are/were left hand thread.

Lots can happen in 36 years... Close examination may reveal an "L" stamped in the left hand stud and/or nut.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks. There went my theory "righty tighty - lefty loosey".

Reply to
Terry Wison

why were the built that way... I can understand on components that are exposed to rotatin along the axis of the fastner... but in the case of wheel lugs they are not in line with the center of rotation.... one would think it cheaper to cast all the lugs in the same standard forge and machine them all with the same rotation... why do half one way and half the other???

Reply to
nooneimportant

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, nooneimportant wanted to know about wheel lugs:

The theory was that by putting LH-threaded lugs on the LH side of the car, the normal forward rotation of the wheels would have no tendency to loosen the lug nuts on the LH side of the car.

Eventually they noticed the wheels weren't falling off other cars and switched for the '71 model year to RH-threaded lugs on all four wheels.

Remember that Chrysler's hallmark from the company's beginnings clear through to the early '70s was extra care in engineering, not doing whatever was cheapest.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Unfortunately at some point in the '60 "extra care in engineering" turned into "just something different."

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

yes... i remember my second car... an 89 dodge spirit... loads of issues from that mitsubish turbocharged inline 4 in it, it was a fairly spiritish engine, but boy did it develope loads of poeblems as it aged (think it needed a rebuild at only 70k when it was traded in instead), but i loved the snap apart interior... seemed you could empty the passenger cab without a single screw, made me feel real confident about everything stayin in place if i got in a wreck.

Now my dads dodge truck and moms crysler concord both seem fairly well built (don't really know why the stuck with crysler after the spirit fiasco. My GMC truck is great, no major mechanical issues in six years, shoot its NEVER been in the shop for any repair in those six years (nor have i had to wrench anything more challening than a fan belt).

Reply to
nooneimportant

Apparently you don't remember it quite as well as all that.

The engines available in Dodge Spirits in North America were:

-2.5 litre 4-cyl TBI nonturbo, designed and built by Chrysler, '89-'95

-2.5 litre 4-cyl MPFI turbo, designed and built by Chrysler, '89-'92

-2.2 litre 4-cyl MPFI DOHC 16V intercooled turbo, designed and built as a joint venture between Chrysler and Lotus, '91-'92

-2.5 litre 4-cyl MPFI Flexible-Fuel nonturbo, designed and built by Chrysler, '93-'95

-3.0 litre V6 MPFI, designed and built by Mitsubishi, '89-'95

No need to make shit up, there, guy.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Did you post under the screen name "ALTAVOZ" in another life?

Reply to
John Kunkel

I thought he sounded a bit like that guy that worries about the current draw of digital clocks....."Lin P.E." or something like that.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaah! Don't say that name! He might come back. Use He who must not be named instead.

Erich trying to put the flashback back into a box.

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

I had a 72 Satelite and I don't recall any left handed studs. How on earth did you manage to keep a 68 Plymouth from rusting out to dust?

Reply to
Finite Guy

Probably because MY 1970 was the last year that ChryCo used them.

Don't park it near any Fords?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

That's because the last year for LH lugs on the LH wheels of Chrysler products was 1970.

Probably he did it by living where they don't use road salt, either because they use sand or because the roads don't ice up.

There are LOTS of '68 Plymouths still rolling around, but it's easy to forget this if you live in the salt belt.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I (or rather my Dad) had both a '68 and '72 Plymouth Satellites. I know that at least one of them has LH and RH threads on the studs, but tripping on too much LDS in the '70 made me forget which ;-) -PapaRick

F> I had a 72 Satelite and I don't recall any left handed studs.

Reply to
Rick Colombo

I (or rather my Dad) had both a '68 and '72 Plymouth Satellites. I know that at least one of them has LH and RH threads on the studs, but smoking too much LDS in the '70 made me forget which ;-) -PapaRick