83 Ford e150 302 straight 6 water pump

Tore into my 83 Ford e150 this morning attempting to replace the water pump. I have a standard (3 on tree) transmission and no AC, as easy as it gets for workspace. I'm having some difficulty getting the fan off the pulley to start extracting the pump itself. Admittedly I haven't bore down on it too much for fear of flattening one of the pulleys or warping it. Soaked it in Wizard and let it sit in the sun for a while and still having issues. Any input would be great.

Brian

Reply to
Rhondelon

If it is the style with 4 bolts, I use two wrenches. I hold the thing from spinning with the wrench on one bolt and turning the other wrench. I alternate until I get to the last one, then I use one that has already been broken free to hold for the last tight one. That one that was already broken free will normally untighten again with little effort or by holding the pulley.

Sometimes I can back out the loose bolts enough to use a screwdriver across two as a lever to hold it for the last tight one.

I also never undo the fan belt unless I am planning on replacing it or it needs adjusting. The belt will come loose with the fan pulley and tighten up exactly the same as before when the pulley goes back on.

Same for the alternator or PS pump bracket. Usually the pumps will twist out from under them without having to undo everything.

Mike

Mike Romain

I returned to it with a bit more determination. It has 4 bolts on the back of the clutch and 4 bolts through the face of the pulley. It also appears to have a threaded shaft as the shaft seems split with knuckling for an adjustable (approx 1 1/4"). I attempted counter clockwise on this shaft and broke a 3/8" cable strap wrench trying to free that. I was able to get the bolts out for the pulley and it floats free but unable to remove it for the fan. It's slightly pressed onto shaft and held by four bolts but is not the same physical piece as the fan/clutch assembly. I checked my chiltons and it showed what you described which seems worlds easier than this.....if the rebuilt water pump will accept it, I think I may just take a trip to the junk yard and 'upgrade' the fan/clutch assembly.

Many Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Rhondelon