85 MPH: Texas considers highest speed limit in nation

One LLB after another uses the excuse that they are doing the speed limit. Taking away this excuse and it will be difficult for them to justify their behavior. I've also read that lane discipline was much more widely practiced before the NMSL.

Reply to
Brent

Right, I know about that excuse. Doesnt really make any difference when that lane is designated for passing only.

Driving between Lufkin and Houston one fine afternoon, a State Highway Patrol car was using this lane and driving 50 mph. Traffic was backed up for miles because nobody wanted to pass his royal majesty on the right. It's bad when the lawmen dont follow the laws either.

Reply to
hls

The LLB often thinks his choices of what laws to follow and which to ignore are morally superior to someone else's. Decades of "speed kills" and people like Joan Claybrook's support only further cement the thought.

Who is going to make them?

Reply to
Brent

So why do you want a system that is designed for and caters to them? All that does is build a better idiot.

Germany doesn't cater to idiots and that's why driving there is so nice and safer than the USA. While driver's licensing is an expensive and complicated process in Germany, but it doesn't need to be in order to be effective.

Reply to
Brent

Hey, I would LOVE to Top Speed my '05 Scion tC. I've hit 125 so far. A few things stopped me, even though there was no traffic: Moose Bear Deer Tickets

Reaction times at higher speeds need to be greater. From what I've seen of the ability of most drivers, the highway speed limit should be 40...

Face it...there are a LOT of IDIOTS out there who form the basis for improving bus service.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Raise the speed limit and more people die. Is it worth it?

Reply to
ben91932

Years ago, I read somewhere most accidents happen in the home, and most auto related accidents happen within 25 miles of home.

85 MPH and faster is safe enough where ever the roads are safe enough, in my Opinion.I don't drive fast anymore.I like to drive slow on the slow poke back roads.I am always Ahead of the people behind me. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin

really? got any proof of that?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

and the answer to that was, always speed, and never go home!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Birds have brought down a lot of Airplanes before.How about high speed Railroad Trains.Japan Earthquake caused a high speed Japanese Railroad Train a Lot of damage.They wrote that Train off, I think. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

We used to say, "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

AMuzi

it's a shame, glad I got to ride the Shinkansen last year before all this happened. Really was pretty uneventful as far as rides go, other than the scenery scrolling a bit faster than usual. I suppose that that was teh effect that they were going for, and they achieved it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

My experience of the speed of the Shinkansen was, I noticed a helicoptor ahead, traveling in the same direction. In a very short time we had caught up to and passed it and it was fast disappearing behind us.

Reply to
bugalugs

If a Helicopter is hovering above me when I am driving, I can leave that Helicopter in my dust. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I'm sure you could because as you said, it would be hovering, so it wouldn't be going anywhere. But these trains are travelling at about

185mph which puts it in front of most helicopters and small aircraft.
Reply to
bugalugs

There has never been any evidence I've run across that shows "safety inspections" increase safety. If they do it's by a trivial amount and is far outweighed by the cost (RIPOFF) of the inspections. They are another "feel good" law that makes legislators wet their pants that they are "saving the children" or similar idiotic feeling.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hmm, seven days and no one has made a guess??? It's around 2% I'd say and that's probably overstating things since cops always want to be able to check the "accident caused by" box to show something specific caused things.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Telling, isn't it?

The official figure for my car-unfriendly area is 1.2% (2005 stats; the number was 2.2% in 1985). And that's just the percentage of involved vehicles that were found to have some sort of mechanical defect, not the subset of those where the found defect was determined to have actually contributed to the collision.

Two simple facts: 1) Most people are not suicidal. 2) Most people adjust their driving-style to a very great degree when piloting a vehicle that does not behave as they wish it to. This is why government "safety" inspections have no effect on "safety".

In case anybody's interested... my area's stats show bald tires and bad brakes to be--far and away--the most common mechanical defects found on collided vehicles where a defect of some sort was found.

Reply to
Tegger