'86 Honda CRX a/c works...but doesn't

hey all, car is a 1986 CRX with 190,000 miles. Rebuilt engine at 180k.

When I first got the car a week ago, pushing the a/c button would raise the idle to about 1500 rpm and the condenser fan would turn on, but the compressor would not engage. Figured it was low on refrigerant, but when I applied 12V directly to the compressor clutch it engaged and cooled extremely well.

So I know the clutch, compressor, and refrigerant are all OK. Foolishly when I was diagnosing a relay I used a manual for a 1989 CRX instead of my 1986, because I haven't gotten a manual yet. I jumped a wire and now the A/C button does nothing at all when pushed. the wire I jumped was a

12V source to a blue wire, which goes to a diode and "delay controller"?

However, using the factory Honda manual (for the 1989 CRX), the pressure switch and thermostat both checked out OK. So it seems the system is entirely mechanically sound - the clutch, compressor, refrigerant, pressure switch, and thermostat all are OK.

What should I try next? I have a manual ordered but it won't be here for about a week. I tried a Haynes manual but, as usual, it was completely worthless.

Thanks all

-James

Reply to
Masospaghetti