'86 Lancer 2.5L timing question

I am in the process of changing the water pump on this car however I may have done a bad thing. In order to access the water pump I had to remove a sprocket that the timing belt was going around. When I was loosening the bolt to remove it, the sprocket slipped on the belt.

Now my question is that I am wondering if that large sprocket is just a thing to let the belt run on or if it drives something inside and therefore I will need to redo the timing. I don't think I have lost the timing between the main shaft of the engine and the upper cam, just this sprocket I am worried about. I cannot think of what inside it would be driving, or do these engines have overhead intake valves and traditional exhaust cam? (or vice versa)

Thanks so much

Joel

Reply to
JD

That sprocket would be for the intermediate shaft*, and yes, it has timing marks and they do need to be lined up correctly otherwise you'll never get the ignition timing to the proper specification.

  • Intermediate shaft drives the oil pump and the distributor.
Reply to
Neil Nelson