87 Bronco II running rich

My cousin called asking advice on his 87 Bronco II that is running very rich. It's been in the shop 4 weeks and the "mechanic has changed most of the sensors, checked fuel pressure and even changed the ECU". It starts and runs but after a few seconds it starts to miss and blow black smoke. It will sometimes clear up for a few seconds but then go back to missing and smoking. The computer does not set any codes. If you pull plugs, all 6 are sooty (he thinks it is multiport injected, but not 100% sure. Air cleaner is on the fender thought) so unlikely a leaky injector.

My first advice was find another shop. If anyone can shed some light on what to check or verify, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

bb

Reply to
bobby

Is this a carburetor or fuel injection engine?

Reply to
MCG

************************ Fuel injected and most likely multiport (not throttle body).

bb

Reply to
bobby

My cousin took it to another shop. They changed the O2 sensor and that appears to have fixed it. Go figure.......... I would have assumed the first guy changed this long before working his way to changing the computer. Is it uncommon to get a bad O2 sensor out of tbe box when replacing them?

bb

Reply to
bobby