87 Celebrity problem

I have a 87 Celebrity and have a few problems. First of all, it is

2.5 engine. What is happening is that the engine is a hard start when cold (first start of the day). It seems like the fuel doesn't stay at the engine when I need to restart. I can stop at the gas station or wherever I need to go, but have to be back within about 15 minutes so that it will restart without a problem. If I wait too long, it acts like a vapor lock and is a lot harder to start. To "solve" this problem, I open the air filter and poor some gas in the throttle body and it starts right up. When it does run, the engine acts like it is running on 3 cylinders and starving of fuel. When I put it into drive, I can get it going and have to try to keep a high revving engine for it to work on all 4 cylinders. It works great under load (getting up to speed). I have checked the codes on the car and have come up with a too much fuel code, not enough fuel code, oxygen sensor code, Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). I have replaced the plugs, wires and the fuel pressure regulator. A friend of mine is having the same kind of problem and came up with different codes, MAP sensor was one. There are some places that I'm going to check out, like, the coil pack to see if the crank sensor is ok and was thinking of checking out the fuel pump.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
cbleickjr

You have low fuel pressure or a fuel pressure leakage problem. Check the fuel pressure, pressure regulator, and injectors for leakdown. If no problem is found, the problem is a leaking fuel line or a bad fuel pump.

No harm in replacing the plugs and wires. However, replacing the fuel pressure regulator was obviously not needed.

Reply to
saeengineer

Then it would run bad all of the time.

Reply to