88 GMC Jimmy Speed-o stopped

My speedometer quit today. reads 0 MPH and no miles counting. Pretty sure I can do this myself, but where the heck do I start? Under the dash? Do they still use a cable off the trans, like in the olden days?

Reply to
edgar

One quick peep under the hood will reveal if there is a cable. Some years can use one or not, depending on if it has digital odometer or analog. (Check for loose 2-wire connector at the VSS on left, just back of mid-side of trans. if it is non-cable. Heck, check it anyway!) s

Reply to
sdlomi2

As I remember, the S/T trucks use a cable to the speedo head. The cable mechanically drives the speedo and odometer as you would suspect, so the cable is probably at fault. FYI, the speedo head then sends an electric speed signal to the ECM for VSS purposes. There is probably a VSS code stored in ECM memory, but it may not light the MIL.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish