'88 Legend: CV, Ball Joint Boots

Hello all,

I'm replacing an axle on my '88 Acura Legend. Both outer CV joint boots were torn, but I believe only the left axle was making noise. (Noise was mostly in right turns, and it sounded like it was coming from the left.) I am also noticing that the upper ball joint boots are both torn, as is one of the steering ball joint boots. The left side was making noises on rough ground that make me wonder if the upper joint was worn and bumping around. Lower joints have been replaced fairly recently and seem OK.

I have several questions for your wisdom:

Is it best to inspect and repack the outer CV joint on the "good" axle and replace the boot, or just suck it up and buy both new axles?

Is there a good way to check the upper joints?

Is it worth the $300 to replace the upper joints and boots, or can they be ignored? (You have to buy new upper control arms to get them)

What is the best action for the torn steering ball joint boot? Ignore, replace boot, or replace whole joint?

I know my way around an engine, but this is my first foray into suspension/drivetrain. I appreciate your advice.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Biggs

I have done this at the shop where I worked. To replace the boot with a real boot, you must disassemble the CV joint. To get it clean enough to make it last awhile, it should be disassembled. You can simply clean it the best you can and get a split repair-boot kit. Not horrible to put on, sometimes they last well, sometimes they don't. If the joint goes bad, you're only out the kit, the grease, and the time. Probably worth a gamble if there's no dirt in the joint.

Check the procedure, you can prob. find it online. Or have a shop check it. You do NOT want to be driving around and have a ball-joint come loose.

If they have grease fittings, liberal greasing will keep them from failing (if they haven't already). No grease fittings, they'll go eventually.

gamble with the CV joints, not with the ball joints. BTW, you'll have to seperate the lower ball joint to change the axle, and you'll have to pull the maybe-good axle to claen it, inspect-it, and re-boot it if you want to do a thorough job. Or, just say the heck with it and re-boot it.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

a torn boot needs attention, pay me now, or pay me later.

a noise coming from the cv joint area needs attention badly, why not pop, if possible,

for the whole nine yards. It should prove to be a good investment. band-aiding a

situation as you mentioned - is for the birds.

a good lube job when needed - helps prevent future failures.

be careful to not damage the inter-facing areas when replacing the new parts.

mho vfe

Reply to
fiveiron