89 325i 3rd gear tranny problem....

ok, i need help diagnosing and getting some price estimate on this. its an 89 325i with 160k miles, straight six, 5 spd manual. shifts fine toher gears, but accelerating and shifting into 3rd, itll pop outta gear, it will only stay in gear if you hold it in for like 6 seconds or more, and it grinds when it pops out. what might be wrong, how much does it cost to repair, or could i possibly buy a tranny outta a wrecked bimmer, and have it put in for cheaper? price estimates and a possible diagnosis would be awsome, thanks, nick.

Reply to
heminick

160k is nothing. Have you been changing fluid regularly? The manual for the 3-series says to change every 30,000 miles. How long has the current fluid been in there?

If it's been a while, I would consider just changing the transmission and differential fluid first off and see if you can free the thing up before it completely seizes and tears up.

Yes, you could get a junkyard transmission, and I would not hesitate to get a junkyard one since these things last damn near forever unless they are abused.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

synchronizer sleeve is worn out - needs R/R!!

When purchasing a used car I always perform a wet/dry compression test before the purchase - this will determine if there is any internal issues that might not be observed otherwise!!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

ok, so is this a part i can buy and have put in for less than, say, $600 by an auto mechanic or should i just get a whole used tranny and have that put in, and how much would a mechanic usually charge for a tranny swap? thanks for the help!

Reply to
heminick

Well, from MY perspective, I would think that if you are having premature transmission failure, it's probably a sign that the vehicle was not taken care of properly by the previous owners. And that therefore you can expect to find other exciting surprises in the future.

For the most part, swapping out the transmission with a junkyard one will cost less than swapping it out a rebuilt. Going in and fixing the synchronizers is silly, because it will cost about as much as a good rebuilt anyway.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

So exactly how would a dry and wet compression test have shown the original poster that he had excessive bearing clearance relating to 3rd gear and it's associated syncro rings and sleeves?

I don't get it. The complaint isn't excessive oil consumption or spark plug fouling, in fact it sounds like the original poster is happy with the way his BMW runs.

Reply to
anumber1