89 cutlass sierra TPS adjustment

Is there anyway to adjust the throttle position sensor.

Tried putting a used one in but still same results. While going down the road the car pulses and surges, kind of loses power and slows then jumps back up.

its a tech 4 2.5 ltr

sounds like a diagnostic comes back as the TPS is low.

The car belongs to my girlfriends father so I havent driven the vehicle yet, thanks for the help in advance.

Reply to
Trav

Simple answer, no.

Don't chase your tail with used electric parts. A new TPS should be $35 or less. Get it.

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Reply to
Shep

The tps' wipers wear the carbon strip. I have not seen the tps on your car but every other one I have seen has some sort of adjustment. Most have slotted screw holes - loosen and rotate. Set to _around_ 0.5v at idle to 4.5v at wot.

Reply to
« Paul »

Seems that if ya really wanted to play, you could adjust the screw, but like above posters said, get a new one, messing around with a used one/trying to adjust it, most likely will create more trouble and waste of time than worth.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

I would try a new switch and make sure the connector pins are clean and tight, i.e. no corrosion. If in doubt take the connector apart and solder the pins to the wires. This type of problem might also be due to a poor ground causing erroneous readings. Bad grounds can cause all sorts of drivability issues.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos