'89 Maxima No Start

So I'm working on an '89 Maxima that originally came in with a battery drain problem. Found that the "main relay" had been grounded constantly on (and was keeping the ECU powered up constantly), so I disconnected the jumper-ground and that took care of the battery drain.

Without the relay grounded, however, the car will crank but not fire. The wiring is such that the ECU provides a ground signal out to the "main relay" which, when energized, switches power to (among other things) the MAF, CKP, and other sectors of the ECU (specifically controls for fuel pumps and injectors). I've checked continuity on the ground signal wire from the ECU to the "main relay", and it is fine. A jumped ground to this wire at the ECU connector will energize the relay, and the car will start and run fine.

Have spent quite a few hours double-checking all inputs (powers, grounds, etc.) to the ECU, and they all appear to be fine. Finally, ordered an ECU for the car. The new ECU doesn't work either (same problem). It is a used, but guaranteed good part.

Sooo... Anybody familiar with Nissans know of any system or ECU input that might control this ground signal? Or should I be worrying about exchanging the supposedly good ECU for another?

One last note: the new ECU is Fed-spec, while the old one was Ca-spec. All info I have found seems to indicate no problem with the interchange, and the Ca-spec. computers are just not available (hence the purchase of a Fed-spec. box). Might there be some unknown factor here causing the problem?

Thanks for any help, Patrick

Reply to
pPhunk