89 vs. 92 trans compatibilty

Hi all, just a quick question:

I have an been offered a parts car for free (89 Taurus 3.8L), the engine and tranny are in good working condition (the vehicle is being driven daily). By tranny in my 92 Taurus is on its last leg. I'm curious if the two trannies are interchangable. I am by no means a 'mechanic', however I have worked in a repair shop for almost three years, and have done many swaps on various vehicles. I know that sometimes even when you think two things are identical, they end up not being identical (usually you notice is after spending a couple hours swapping accessories, etc. Anyway, feel free the respone with a technical answer, if ya got one. Thanx in advance.

Reply to
demeyz5

Hi all, just a quick question:

I have an been offered a parts car for free (89 Taurus 3.8L), the engine and tranny are in good working condition (the vehicle is being driven daily). By tranny in my 92 Taurus is on its last leg. I'm curious if the two trannies are interchangable. I am by no means a 'mechanic', however I have worked in a repair shop for almost three years, and have done many swaps on various vehicles. I know that sometimes even when you think two things are identical, they end up not being identical (usually you notice is after spending a couple hours swapping accessories, etc. Anyway, feel free the respone with a technical answer, if ya got one. Thanx in advance.

Reply to
demeyz5

Wrecking yards have books on interchangeable parts, called Hollanders, I believe. You can often cross reference your parts and find what you need at online sites such as

<HLS

Short answer, NO!

1991 was the first year for AXODE the electronically shifted version of the hydraulic AXOD. As i recall, 91/92 were bastard years and a upgraded version came out in 93 or so with a different plug on the trannie.

Now, if you want to forsake the computer shifting the trannie, it will fit. But god only knows what the computer will do with no trannie to talk to. if its 3.8 to 3.8 and your clever, it may be possible. But there are too many issues to even consider it in my view.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ