90 Ford Ranger Overheat Coolant loss (maybe heater core?)

Hey guys... i've got a 90 Ford Ranger and have recently experienced overheating issues.. (it is old so expected)... First situation overheated... changed thermostat and everything returned to normal for about a month... There was no gunk on the oil cap and no steam as far as i can tell in the exaust so i don't think it has escalated to a head gasket problem yet... Recently i overheated real quick (never got to red line.. shut it off before it could) and coolant sprayed all over engine.... bought new radiator cap and filled back up with fluid... happened again but this time didn't spray through cap... through somehting else.... (it was all over underside of hood).. Now, started up and watched for leaks.. didn't see a spray, but saw a leak on passenger side under firewall... my guess is there is a leak in the heater core.. which was probably caused by initial overheat by the rad cap... any advise on how to fix this problem.? things to look out for etc or any general advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!

Reply to
sirmopalot

It definitely sounds like the heater core is leaking. I think I would shunt the two lines to the cooler core together with a pipe and clamps and see how the thing behaves at that point. That will probably do it and then replace the core at your leisure.

Reply to
Al Bundy

It sounds like one problem caused another. You have an overheating problem that is building up pressure and probably caused the heater core to start leaking. You need to fix the overheating first. Have you had it looked at yet by a technician. It could be as simple as a thermostat, or it could be a head gasket. What motor is in it?

Reply to
jfrancis311

I replaced the thermostat... radiator cap.. etc.. no gunk on oil cap no steam in exaust etc.. when i replaced thermostat originally, it *fixed* the problem for about a month.. then this happened.. i'm not doubting the chicken or the egg thing here... it's a 2.3 liter v6 engine.. will probably bypass heater core and see if that helps cause at this point i definately have a leak, and probably in the heater core... without this fixed i prob can't diagnose much further... i don't think it is a damaged head gasket.... any symptoms to check for a leaking/blown head gasket? other than i already checked for? thanks!!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
sirmopalot

I would take it to a shop that you trust and have them check the headgaskets. There are ways to check them properly. Just looking for gunk under the cap will not due.

Reply to
jfrancis311