90 Nissan A/C electrical problem - eliminating possible points of failure

Hello,

I've got a 90 Nissan 240SX - the AC which normally blows really chilly on a hot day intermittently cuts off (compressor) for 10 minutes or 20 minutes at the compressor perhaps 15% or 20% of the time. WHen it works, it works great w/ normal cycling going on and so forth. I'm sure we've all been there w/ intermittent electrical problems that we can't consistently reproduce! I can tinker on it every weekend and never experience a problem but a half hour from home on a hot day

- ya never know. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to it as best I can tell like load or temperature or humidity etc. - rain or shine, just warm or boiling hot outside - it's just a purely random thing.

Anyway what I've been resorting too is process of elimination - try something drive a few days and see if the problem returns. So far it always does and I'm starting to run out of things to eliminate! So I'm looking for possible suggestions to check out.

What I've done/eliminated:

A) Long ago when it first started I checked the charge - I don't recall the #s but it appeared to be fully charged at the time as I recall.

B) I 'shorted' the pressure cutoff switch on the drier with a piece of copper - no affect problem still occurs intermittent.

C) I replaced the AC electrical relay w/ a new unit - no affect problem still occurs intermittent.

D) I 'shorted' the thermal cutout switch on the cmpressor itself - no affect problem still occurs intermittent.

E) I've gone though all the accessible wires and grounds not thoroughly burried in looms and looked for good clean tight connections and such. Besides the car is in a very clean dry mild environment and zero other electrical gremlins during it's entire 14 years. Everything looks super clean - didnt' find anything remotely suspicious here.

F) I took out the entire center console and disassembled the HVAC control switch box looking for a possible bad on/off switch - nicely engineered control switch w/o a hint of a problem.

??? So where can I go from here to look for a possible problem w/ the system that causes the compressor to kick off randomly and stay off for for extended periods before coming back on???

Reply to
pgtr