90% of drivers don't know how to brake!

Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in Berlin revealed that more than 90% of drivers fail to brake with enough force in emergency situations.

Tom Adams

I'm not surprised. When I was doing braking tests and let someone else do it, even though I stressed they needed to PRESS HARD on the brake pedal, they rarely even locked the wheels. I've even seen experienced accident investigators fail to brake hard enough to get good measurements.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I once read some of those smashups on the Autobahn are real Beauts. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Google Autobahn accidents. Check out the red car wrapped around the tree. Amazing.

Reply to
willy

I've always had the habit of stepping hard on the brake before putting it into gear. On my 76 Dodge Aspen Wagon with the ever popular slant

6, I had just gone to pick it up after brake work, when I started it and the corroded brake line burst and spilled on the floor. The garage guy gave me a great deal on replacing it, since he said it would have looked bad having me drive a mile down the steep hill into the Monongehela river.

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

I stay on the slow poke back roads wherever I am going.I can putt putt along at about 35 to 40 - 45 miles per hour just like most of those other slow pokes are doing.It feels just right for me.I never have to brake hard unless some fool suddenly cuts in front of me.I just don't like to drive fast anymore.50 - 55 miles per hour is more than fast enough for me. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

What's a "brake"? Is that the third pedal in between the throttle and the clutch?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

It's the one you whack in a Fwd car when it goes to far when drifting.

Reply to
Bret

That's the "break pedal." You press it when it's time to pull over and take a break from driving.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What was the first brake pedal? The one you push on those old Wagons and Stage Coaches? Scrub brakes against the rear wheels.The sprag brake.Throw out the boat anchor. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Ah! THAT'S what it is! Thanks....usually I just gear down to 1st and turn the motor off when it's time for a break.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

You're not supposed to go back the way you came from :)

Reply to
Bret

Can the power overcome the handling?

Reply to
Bret

Just barely. US spec was 112 HP, but I think that was conservative. I seem to remember a magazine here testing it and reachin ~120HP. "World" models were rated 122HP, so the actual figure was probably ~128 or so.

I have a "late" model 1985, made in April, so it got more of the goodies and probably hit the 120 figure. On a trip to Canada I was blown off by a Prelude and a Bertone Volvo, so I decided to see what it could do. At ~130MPH I could feel the front lifting a bit, so I backed down to 125 for a while. I didn't have a lot more to go, maybe 133 or so tops. If you really revved it and dropped the clutch you could break the back end free. But you have to remember the drifters go with the side draft carbs, more aggressive cams, etc. There was a racing series here in NA that used the

4A-GE engine, and with all the works it came out at 240HP, which was what Toyota rated the motor at max power. So, yeah, beefed up to 180+, I would imagine you probably could make the @$$ end slide around like a 911...

BTW, the "late" model configuration was a bit of a PITA, because I would go for parts and they would say, "When was it made?" "April 85" "WHEN in April 85" April was the break from the late '83-'85 series, and it was a mixed blessing. THe parts for the earlier models were cheaper by about half! But, the car was more robust after the split, and certainly benefitted from the changes! It still sits in my back yard, with 259,990 fun-filled miles, waiting for the day it gets rebuilt, but all my money has been going to my Supra...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

LOL! That's why I stay away from Porsches! Oh, and I think $$$ might have a little something to do with that...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Sell the supra :)

Reply to
Bret

I can't! You might say, I have done something I wanted to do ever since

1988....

Bought an '88 Supra! Plus, it's a Sport Roof. The car is just a blast...and it runs...

Hmmm...sell the Supra...rebuild the Corolla...Hachiroku rides again! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B