91 Camaro cooling fan..

Hello all, My gf has a 91 Camaro that doesn't run the radiator cooling fan even when it gets hot. The fan will turn on when the AC is turned on so the relay and fuse are alright. I chased it down in the schematics and there appears to be only one drive signal to the pick coil fo the relay. The temp gauge appears to be accurate. Anybody have any ideas?? THanks,

Cam

Reply to
Cam Sweet

The fan switch should be on one of heads depending on which engine you have.. It's basically a thermal switch that controls the fan.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Does her car have the TPI-engine--i.e., is it a Z-28? If so, it is most likely designed, as Mike just said, to turn the fans on at close to 230 degrees. If the car is overheating, you might buy a kit from, like SUMMIT, with new temp. sending units, wiring, relay(s)?, terminals, t'stat, and instructions. This kit is designed to call for the fans to come on when it reaches 195 degrees--maybe 180 degrees on some applications. Personally, I like this 195-degree-turn-on better than the 227-turn-on. That "Z"-engine and 'vette-engines are designed to run at hotter ranges than normal engines, but I'm afraid of the tiny head-room before serious heating occurs! HTH & good luck. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi