91 Chevy K1500, need source of supply for leaf spring U bolts, U bolt anchor plates, and top spacer

Hi everyone,

I have a 1991 Chevy K1500 4WD 1/2 ton pickup truck with a short bed. The truck has a Conventional two door Cab and the wheel base is 117.5 inches. The engine size is a 4.3 V6, engine code Z, & the truck has an automatic transmission.

I need the four U bolts than hold the rear leaf spring to the rear axle. I also need the U-bolt anchor plates that go under the axle (I

*think* the anchor plates are discontinued by GM). I also need the small thin rectangular spacer that goes between the underside of the top portion of the U bolts and the top side of the leaf springs.

The dealer wants $43.00 each for the U bolts which seems ridiculous since most U bolts in hardware stores are only $2.00 to $6.00 each. Why are these things so expensive ? Can I just get a matching grade 8 U bolt from a hardware supplier and use that ? Is there anything special about the OEM U bolts ? They are the "square bend" type of U bolt.

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket supplier that offers quality replacement meeting OEM specs ? I want everything to be at least as good as the OEM parts. I'm familiar with LMC truck, would there replacement be as good as OEM ? I think the LMC catalog listed lefts and rights for the anchor plates but they look the same. Why would a left and right anchor plate be needed ?

I would appreciate any feedback or related experiences with U bolts and anchor plates. My originals have rusted quite badly.

Thanks John

Reply to
John2005

When I needed U bolts and related parts for my Camaro dirt track car, I called around to the local 4x4 and spring shops. You might have luck with the same.

On a barely related note, I have 90 Chevy and the brakes suck. Do you know if anyone makes any aftermarket stuff? I'm not looking for Vette level stopping power, but I feel like I'd have better luck stopping by doing a Fred Flinstone and dragging my shoes on the pavement. (K1500 btw.)

Ray

Reply to
ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply. I got a set of loaded front calipers and front brake lines a few years ago from NAPA and they seem to be decent quality. Like several autoparts houses, NAPA sells a top of the line and a cheaper line for many of their parts. I always try to get the best parts whenever I can.

For some parts, the dealer will still have them at a price that's comparable to aftermarket, so its always good to at least call them and find out, they will surprise you sometimes.

As far as high performance stuff, I'm not really sure but Raybestos

has always been a big name in brakes and I have used their stuff in the past and had good luck with it.

John

Reply to
John2005