91 Grand Voyager 3.3 V6 Transmission Problem - Slips only in "R" Reverse

I've been driving a 91 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. It has a A-604 automatic transmission.

I've recently been encountering a strange behavior with it. Basically, "R" Reverse gear seems to be slipping at times. Sometimes, while accelerating in "R" Reverse, it will seem like the engine is free-revving at times, as if it's in Neutral, and the van isn't picking up speed while moving in that gear.

What do you think is going on? Anything I should check?

Reply to
mopardriver12d

======= ======= If that's the only symptoms.... And the symptoms are exactly as you've stated.......

here's what I know for FACT is going on.........

it's breaking...... not broke...... breaking.

It will however eventually break. And...it sounds like soon. maybe not. sounds like it though.

any whooo.... Things you should check??

Sure..

Check on a price for fixing the symptom.

and.....

Check that where you're fixing to park...... you won't need to back up.

Fact..not Fiction.

~:~ MarshMonster ~is going to go fix him a cup of coffee ......~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The linkage could be out of adjustment.

Reply to
jcr

====== ====== jcr wrote: The linkage could be out of adjustment. ===== ===== True.

He could have a flat tire too.

But.. neither will cause his symptoms.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Not true. I've had shifter linkage adjustment problems that have caused that exact problem (but in Drive though).

Reply to
jcr

you might have a transmission service pulled on it by a reputable mechanic / shop, oil change , filter replaced and the bands adjusted

- and see if they come up with anything major without prompting them.

could be anything, but more than likely a filter is stopped up, bands need adjusting, and oil level might be low.. you are lucky if there are no leaks. the tranny is quite old, so service is probably needed.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Thanks.....will try these things.

I'm driving the van right now since my car is at the auto school shop getting repairs done. The van is my parents'.

The trans fluid/filter hasn't been changed in a while. Some transmission work has been done back this past January, though. But that was just with the control module as it had to be retrained, recalibrated, and reprogramed as 3rd gear wasn't engaging properly at the time, and passing gear didn't kickdown properly. Those have been fixed. This transmission is computer/electronic controlled and doesn't use bands.

I checked the level the other day, and it was ok, though it appeared light in color.

I'm going to try to get my parents to change it sometime.

Also, I noticed some new problems over almost the last week:

1) When I was in "N" Neutral one day, the voltage gauge overshot and the "CHECK GAGES" light came on. I ended up finding that the battery terminals were quite dirty and loose as well, so I tightened them up and cleaned them. This seems to have fixed this problem.

2) Last weekend, the van overheated out of the blue while I was waiting for someone in the bank. I found that the fan didn't work. Upon inspection of it, I noticed that my parents had put wads of elec tape rigged something on it. They said fan isn't original. What could cause it not to be working [properly]?

3) When I was at idle one day, I noticed that the oil pressure gauge was reading at almost the "L" mark. I thought the sending unit was bad (at first, I figured it was replaced when the other oil pressure issues were fixed back in Jan but probably not), so I replaced it w/ on from NAPA. Didn't help really.

Still, when I'm driving down the road sometimes, the oil pressure gauge will be reading virtually 'nil' and the "CHECK GAGES" light will be on.

What's going on here, now? I thought the oil pressure issues had been solved back in January.

Reply to
mopardriver12d

======= ======= jcr wrote

======== ======== oh.........

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to override an EXPERT diagnosis.

please..... forgive me .......

could you answer one question for me though....... I mean......you seem to have a handle on this tranny stuff...... and....you seem to be a shifter expert......

so.......... here's my question......

When the ONLY.....adjustment to the linkage on this tranny is external of the unit, and the electrical signal for gear position sent to the computer is INSIDE the unit, and....the ONLY way that a first gear signal can be sent is when the INTERNAL selector is in "one" of the drive positions, and...... the manual valve in the trans MOVES THE SIGNAL...........

then..... how could a linkage adjustment give the OP's symptoms?

~~~WARNING~~~ ~~~WARNING~~~ ~~~WARNING~~~

you better be sure of the answer you're fixing to give.... i mean...YOU said I posted bad info.....

so.......I"M sure...you're now gonna back it up with the why's and how's......

aren't you??????????????????????/

cuz if you don't......

I'm gonna call you a nasty,,,,nasty,,,nasty...name.

oh.... and one last thing...

a feller named Elmer has said I've got to be a nicer feller in the NG's.... so's.....trust me when I tell you.....I reeeeeelllly wanted to say something else to you.....

but Elmer said I shouldn't.

so... until you reply.....

i agree.....to disagree

i'm right yer wrong

~:~ MarshMonster ~looks fer his crownroyal........now where'd ole Elmer hide the bottle~

Reply to
Marsh Monster