91 honda civic

my son was driving up hill and he lost any power to keep going, when I tried, i could let the clutch all the way out and there was very little power. Some days later, I was able to drive it into the garage but had to rev pretty high to do it. What could this problem be?

Reply to
rc

worn out clutch.

Reply to
no_one

I assumed it was the clutch, but does it make sense that it goes in gear, I just do not have enough power to move with any hill type of resistance?

Reply to
rc

if the disk is worn (or pressure plate damaged/lost tension) you will not get transmission of power from engine flywheel to transmission. The pressure plate pushes the clutch plate against the flywheel when your foot is off the clutch. It will go into gear just fine.

Reply to
no_one

thanks for the help, Ill start looking there.

Reply to
rc

I also assume you must have a cold right now too as you should smell it burning.

Reply to
Al Bundy

What do you mean lost power! While the clutch is engaged does the engines rpm raise up, thus causing limited movement? If so then I'd check the clutch disk or perhaps is a glazed flywheel!

Reply to
Backbone

Try adjusting the clutch. The cable may simply be out of adjustment.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Correct. Depending on how bad you are at driving with a clutch, these Civics will go from properly adjusted to slipping in no time.

The adjuster is on top of the transaxle right at the clutch cable bracket. It is a round plastic knob that you turn counterclockwise to increase clutch cable freeplay. Adjust until you have 1"-2" of clutch pedal freeplay (movement before the pedal gets hard to push). If this doesn't cure the slipping, then it's time for a new clutch, pressure plate and release bearing.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish