91 Nissan Maxima radiator fans run continuously.

My grandfather's 91 Nissan Maxima radiator fans will run continuously. I'd unplug the fan switch near the thermostat and the fans still run. There are three relays and all seem to be fine because when I unplug them one by one they will make a click sound and the fans will stop.

The diagram that I have off the Chilton manual shows a fan switch wired to the ECM. The ECM controls the three relays. I have no diagram which shows an AC button or any other coolant temperature sensor connected to the ECM, which I suspect may be the ones keeping the fan on. I'm not familiar with a Maxima. I would like help finding out why the fans are running even after the fan switch is disconnected. Any help is appreciated. What are some of the possibilities that will allow the fans to run continuously?

Thanks

Reply to
zcxcxcxz zxcxzcxzcx

Relays do what relays are told.

I am not familiar with the 91 Maxima either, but there has to be a switch (coolant temperature switch?) somewhere on that vehicle 'telling' the relay (and fan) to do it's thing.

I would start looking around at the lower radiator for a switch (2 or 3 wire) plug. Some switch has to be saying, "the engine is hot or the A/C is on"

Best wishes, Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

Thanks Dave, there was no fan switch as you mentioned, however, there is only the engine coolant temp sensor. The problem was solved.

It turns out to be an improper bleeding to my knowledge. Here's what I did, if this may help others in the future. I may have left out details in the beginning unintentionally.

First, my grandfather had the water pump replaced by another individual. Then after they refill the coolant the fans ran continuously. Disconnecting the coolant temp sensor did not stop it. Finally, I remove the coolant temp sensor and boil it on a can while I watch for a change in resistance. Nothing change. The resistance stays still. I put it back in and bleed the coolant. I've found many trapped air. I slide the heater dial to maximum and find what looks like tiny bubbles. The fan began to operate normally for the first time after a week.

Here's how I bleed. I remove the cap and idle the car until the water begins to flow in the filler neck. I keep topping it off. I ran the motor for a total of 30-40 minutes. Once I see no air I close the cap.

Lesson learn. Nissan is not a car I want to own. I'd prefer a Honda Civic or a Toyota. These cars are reliable and easy to work on. Actually, no combustion type car is any reliable or make us independent from some sort of industry. I want an electric car where repairs are almost nonexistence.

Reply to
zcxcxcxz zxcxzcxzcx