91 Olds Regency Elite-3800 V6 tuned port inj

My Sis has the above car.The alternator has a plate on the front with a seal,the plate is loose in one spot with a gap(about 3/16") and the alternator throws sparks if the engine is revved..I did'nt have time to look it over and daylight was waning.How big of a job is it to replace this alternator? She replaced the serpentine belt recently,was the failing alternator the likely cause for it to break? The alternator is located down and to the right between the engine and radiator when looking at the side-mount engine from the passenger side.I've rarely worked on side-mount engines and it was no fun. Thanks All..

Reply to
The Shirker

Are you really, really, really sure it's the alternator?

Reply to
aarcuda69062