'92 cadillac no power to distributor. :(

I have a 1992 cadillac with no power to distributor. (4.9L engine) The computer says E012, which means there is no power to dist. The HEI distributor has 2 wires, 1 white and 1 red. I think one is power and the other is tach. Could I just hook the power one (which color? red?) to the battery and drive the car. (The engine does get fuel.) Why did the computer disable the dist?

any suggestions?

Reply to
cgbusch

Code EO12 means that the PCM is not recieving an RPM signal from the ignition module. If the key is switched to "on" but the engine is not cranking or running, naturally the PCM will report a code EO12 (if interrogated).

Red is 12 volt swiched power, white is the tach (coil-) lead.

How do you know the engine is getting fuel? Did you remove an injector and visually confirm fuel spray from that injector?

The computer can't disable the distributor, in fact, it is the distributor signal which enables the computer (PCM).

Start at the beginning? Something to the effect of "my engine cranks but won't start" perhaps....

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Oops, my test for power was flawed. There was power to the coil. It turned out to be the black HEI sensor below the rotor that was bad.

-- CB

Reply to
cgbusch