92 olds 3.1 idle & stall problems

I have been having some problems with a 92 olds cutlass supreme 3.1, about

191k miles on it. The problems do not appear to be caused by the car being warm or cold and don't always appear. I've posted on here and have had some feedback, but nothing has worked that I've tried. Sorry for the length, but hoping that with a better description, someone might be able to "diagnose" my problem without sending me to the mechanic.

About 6 months ago I started noticing diminshed mileage. I changed the spark plugs in April. Didn't help the mileage.

In late May, the fuel pump went bad and it was changed along with the strainer and filter.

About 2 weeks later, I was driving down one of the main streets in town and the car died at about 45 mph. It restarted and seemed to run rough after that.

I have since changed the ECM and the IAC and TPS sensors. I changed the MAP sensor last fall. The car still is not running correctly, but the problems are intermittent. I don't hear anything that sounds like a vaccuum leak, but wouldn't rule that out.

I can start the car and sometimes it will idle fine. Other times it will die immediately. It seems that most of the time, I have to press on the accellerator pedal in order to get it to start. Some of the time this is just to get it to turn over (it clicks like it is still in gear and you tried to start it or like the starter solenoid is bad, but neither is the case), other times it will turn over, but not fire until I press on the gas pedal.

There have been times that I start the car, put it in reverse to back out of my parking stall and it will jerk or lurch. The rpm will fluctuate from about 500 to 1250 rapidly while I back out. It will occassionally do this while stopped at a stop light, but not often. Never have noticed in a forward gear except the few times at a stop light.

When I pull up to a stop light, it will often try to run the car at a higher rpm, just over 1k. After being at the light for a few seconds it will drop down to between 500 and 750 rpm. When it does this, it acts as if it is flooding down, then it usually smooths out and runs so that I can hardly tell that it is running. Other times I pull up to the light and no problems, but this is not the norm. And still other times, I let up on the foot feet and it immediately drops rpm and dies.

I've noticed that it is less likely to die with the a/c on. I've even pulled into my parking stall with the a/c running and it doesn't die. I turn off the a/c with the car in gear and it will then die immediately. Other times, I put it in park first and then the motor starts to race at about 1500 to 2000 rpm.

I have also noticed that there are times I will be driving down the highway or a major street (45 mph +) and the rpm will do wierd things. Before these problems started, normal rpm at 55 mph was just under 1500. At 75 mph it was about 2000. Now at about 45 mph (shifting into 3rd range), it runs just under 1500 rpm. If I remove my foot from the accellerator it will jump up between 1500 and 1750. When I'm at 60 mph, it jumps up to about 2000 rpm when I remove my foot. It almost acts like the cruise when I'm driving on a flat road as it will maintain a constant speed and rpm without me touch the gas. Other times, I remove my foot and the rpm drops off normally.

I was told to clean the throttle body. I haven't done this, however, when I changed the IAC valve and have had the breather tube off, it doesn't appear dirty. I was also told to change the oxygen sensor. Another reader said not to mess with it as the problems were immediately upon start up and the sensor only operates after about 30 seconds. Any other thoughts?

It is an automatic transmission with overdrive.

Why would it require me to press the accellerator to get it to turn over? Why does the idle appear to stick or jump up? Is this a problem with the TCC sensor that I've been reading about or something else? Could it be the coils? I personally doubt the latter, but I suppose it is possible. Other thoughts?

Reply to
Robert Sanford

Quite possible that it's ignition-related - sometimes it seems like they will increase the idle speed if it detects that the engine speed is too unstable at the lower idle speed (i.e. because of a misfire).

Other than that, I'm not sure if this engine uses a mass airflow sensor or not, but if it does, check that the intake air ducting is not split or cracked anywhere, that could allow air in that's not being measured by the sensor.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Was told by the clerk at the parts store that it does not have a maf sensor. According to Chiltons it should have one and it would be on the breather box. However, the only thing I find on it is the air temperature sensor.

Reply to
Robert Sanford

"> Why would it require me to press the accellerator to get it to turn over?

There shouldn't be any connection between the starter motor and gas peddle. if you turn the key to start and get no starter action, then check the starter system. Ignition switch---neutral safety switch on an automatic--starter solenoid---starter--battery cables--battery---engine grounds--wiring circuits. You have to check while the problem is ongoing.

On the idle problems, the general procedure is to clean the throttle-body, first and then proceed from there. If a sensor is suspected, you have to check the sensor wiring also. Don't replace a sensor without checking the sensor circuit.

If your going to trouble-shoot the problem, I think you need at least, a fuel pressure gage and dvom. And that may not be enough. Did the vehicle list any trouble-codes? Did you check the fuel pressure while the problem was ongoing?

When somebody suggests a faulty part, those are just suggestions, you don't replace the part, you check the part and circuit where applicable and proceed accordingly. Don't replace any part I suggested, test them.

Reply to
jd

No, there have not been any codes stored. I was told by the repairman that the fuel pressure was running at 46 psi when I had the fuel pump replaced about a month ago. As I said, I didn't physically clean the throttle body, but it did not appear to have any gunk in it. Maybe it is where I just can't see, but the intake area and around the iac valve seemed to be clean, though the IAC valve did have some carbon (?) deposits on it.

I agree that it is better to check the part and circuit. There are times, though, when the cost of a part is minimal and you are in a hurry so you make the change without testing the part...not ideal, but sometimes necessary to try to see if the problem is solved.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Sanford

I have replaced sensors without checking the circuits, for the same reasons you gave. And I always tell myself, I'll check the circuit next time.

As far as idle speed controls, there is a site at

that has an article that might give you some ideas. Click on the diagnostic link, then click volume 4 issue 1, pages 1 and 3 talk about idle speed controls. It might give you some ideas. Use your best judgement on any tests.

Reply to
jd

Correct. They stopped using the MAF on the W bodies between '88 and '90. My father in law's 88 regal has a maf... my '90 grand prix does not.

Reply to
Clem

I did buy some throttle body cleaner and gave the t-b a good cleaning this morning. It's funny that everything I do makes the car run better. I've noticed a significant improvement in it when it appears to be running properly. But, all that said, it still seems to be trying to hold onto what I think is a high idle when I remove my foot from the accellerator.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Sanford

Can someone tell me where to find the TCC connection on this car? My understanding is that one should be able to see it from the top (assuming that it is similar to the 91 Lumina.

If I'm standing at the front, looking into the engine compartment, I see the following on the front. On the left is the oil filter. Next to the oil filter is the oil sender unit. Then there is a connector of some sort. There is a little "lip" to the far right with a connector on the top of the lip. This connector has three wires going to it, but as near as I can tell it is a grounding block of some sort rather than a sensor. At least it does not have the protective end found on most of the connectors and it appears that all of the wires are going into one larger pin area, but I could be wrong.

I would like to try disconnecting the tcc to see if that solves my problem or not.

Reply to
Robert Sanford

If the car has idle problems when not in gear, or fails to start properly, the TCC is not your problem..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I think the inability to start problm is cleared up, as a result of cleaning the throttle body. But it still seems to idle high, or have a high rpm, when I slow down from high speeds. If I stay under 35 mph it usually slows down fine, but once I high somewhere between 35 and 40 and try to slow down the rpm won't lower as I lower my speed causing it to attempt to run rough and try to stall.

So, I would like to try unplugging the TCC and see if that clears up the problem.

immediately.

Reply to
Robert Sanford

Does it clear up if you put it into neutral? If not, then it won't be the TCC. Generally, when the TCC sticks engaged, I believe it stays engaged all the way, therefore when you stop the engine speed is forced down below idle and the engine will stall if left in gear.

Is this the 3-speed transmission, or the 4-speed with overdrive? If it's the

3-speed, the only electrical connectors are for the TCC and the 3rd gear switch to enable it, and for the vehicle speed sensor (which should be a separate 2-wire plug). If it's a 4-speed, you'll have more connections for the shift solenoids, etc. as it's electronically controlled.
Reply to
Robert Hancock

"Robert Sanford" wrote in news:3f00bdc6$1 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com:

Reply to
Rush

"Robert Sanford" wrote in news:3f00bdc6$1 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com:

Reply to
Rush

Here is something you might not have checked. I have 96 cutlass that had a stalling/hard start problem and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. I replaced the tps and cleaned the iac before finding raw gas in the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. It was a $50 part for my 3.4L. No codes were set and I put up with it getting worse for about 6 months before noticing the fuel in the line. The vacuum line was a loose fit and I only noticed it after putting a clamp on it, which stopped the evaporation and allowed me to see the leakage. I think you should also check for intake manifold gasket leaks by spraying carb cleaner around it while running. I would be interested to hear what you find. Good Luck - Ken

Reply to
GWHSU