92 Pontiac Transport - need cyl heads rebuilt

Cyl head gasket blew on this thing, one (at least) valve "burnt" according to the guy who wanted $1500 to remove, rebuild and replace the heads. Well that's *somewhat* outside the current budget, so it's back in the driveway awaiting a space in my garage. It's the 3.8L V6. Anyone done this job, have comments or advice? I've rebuilt heads before but back in my distant youth.

Reply to
George Brims

If you have the tools and the patience to do it, you can save a ton of money. Some places you can buy exchange heads for pretty reasonable prices. Or you can just pull yours off and take them to a machine shop.

I don't have current prices but would estimate in the range of $50 for a gasket set, and maybe $75-125 to service the heads. Allow a day to remove the heads, another day at the machine shop, and a day to put everything back together, if you work at a slow to moderate pace.

If your heads are cracked, you can probably pick up another set at a salvage yard or buy a remanufactured set.

As I say, I haven't done this in awhile, but would be surprised if I am very far off on the prices. Some people can do the job a lot faster, but it shouldn't take much longer.

Reply to
HLS

Reply to
NOSPAM

Actually it's a rebuilt engine with only 5,000 miles on it. However due to a separate (and also expensive) problem the vehicle sat around a while, and the gasket blew the second day we drove it again. According to the shop the block is fine, it's only the top end needs work. Sur ehope they're right!

Reply to
George Brims