93 Aerostar 3.0L: Freon Valve Location?

My 93 Aerostar air conditioner is cooling but not as good as it used to. Hopefully, I've just lost a little freon over the years and the

165,000 miles. I have a couple of small cans of R-12, along with a simple (no gauges) charging kit but I just wanted to make sure which valve to hook the charging hose up to.

I know from charging the system on other vehicles that you add the freon to the suction or low pressure line (the one that's COLD). My Aerostar has a cold line running into, or maybe out of, the Accumulator beside the heater-A/C blower unit, and there's a valve in that line about 6 inches before the accumulator. Really convenient to get to. But there's another valve on the accumulator itself, with nothing hooked up to it. My guess is that the valve on the cold line going to the accumulator is where I should hook the hose to charge the freon, but I'm hoping someone can verify this for me.

Reply to
joshhemming

Because of your uncertainty, I can't condone you adding freon to your system. If you're not completely familiar with an AC system, I don't think you should add it. With that being said, your safest way to add freon is with the engine OFF and the system pressure completely the same. You may not get as much freon in the system, but you will walk away with out an R12 can blowing up in your face.

BTW, the low side of your AC system is the valve on the receiver/dryer right next to the ignition module on the right fenderwell. Your high pressure valve is closer to the radiator.

Reply to
Kruse

Reply to
Shep

Yep Shep, I know it's against the law in the U.S. But I live 5 miles from Mexico, where cans of R-12 sell for under ten bucks each. I can drive my Aerostar across the border, buy a can of R-12, install it on the side of the street, throw the empty can in the trash and return to the U.S.

Al Gore and his tree-hugging buddies can kiss my butt.

Reply to
joshhemming

Good plan...

Make a good guess at which fitting to attach the can to and maybe you can test drive the mexican medical system.

Good luck with that...

Reply to
Anumber1

I decided to reply to the original poster for two reasons. One, I've got my certification. Two, I own a '93 Aerostar. (I've also got a '91 Aerostar, but the original poster never mentioned anything about that now did he??) ;-)

Like I originally posted, I don't recommend that the guy adds his own freon. This will not stop him from doing it, however.

Reply to
Kruse