93 Blazer won't start

I was driving to work at about 60 mph when my car just suddenly stopped. There is a faint smell of burning plastic. When I try to restart, the engine turns over but won't start. Any suggestions as to what the problem is? Thanks.

Reply to
grandcatering

It is out of gas.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I wish that was the problem.

Reply to
grandcatering

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Are you sure?

There are four things you need: Fuel, Air, Spark, and Timing. Do you have fuel at the fuel rail? Do you have fuel in the cylinder? Do you have a spark if you pull a plug out? Is the computer giving any codes about the crankshaft position sensor not reading anything?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Sorry, I'm a car idiot. My friend says fuel and compression seem good. He says there is a spark at the distributor but not at the plug.

Reply to
grandcatering

"at the distributor" - does that mean at the coil wire or at one of the spark plug terminals?

You may need any/all of the following - cap, rotor, plugs, wires.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have spark at the center of the distributor so juice is going in but not at the plugs. The distributor cap and rotor have been replaced.

Reply to
grandcatering

Okay, do the rotor and cap look burnt? Is the rotor turning when you try and start the car?

If fuel is good, and air is good, you have spark and timing to worry about.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

How 'bout at the plug wires? Do you have spark if you stick a screwdriver in the end of a plug wire and hold it near a metal part of the engine?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel